Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Electric Blue Crawfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/electric-blue-crawfish-303865/)

steelersx 11-16-2013 06:24 PM

Electric Blue Crawfish

Since my smaller fish sleep on the bottom of the tank, would they just be easy prey for a EBC?
Are there any issues with these guys?
There are several at my local fish store and they are beautiful. Would love to get one.

Thought?

Agent13 11-16-2013 09:54 PM

They certainly are beautiful. but are very mean. I have 2 and the only fish able to survive with them are rosy barbs. And I certainly don't trust them near my fingers..however they make such a lovely tank I don't regret it at all.

RackinRocky 11-20-2013 12:40 AM

Just a suggestion--have you considered an orange dwarf crayfish? (CPO). I have one, and have totally fallen in love. They are so fun to watch, entertaining, and cute to boot, bright orange! I think you'd be much better off with one of these than the Electric Blues. These are usually not aggressive, and I have one in my female betta tank with no problems whatsoever. I have red cherry shrimp in there too, but the cray is so slow to catch them, although the bettas do occasionally:roll:
I got mine on ebay. I paid $13 and change, and that included shipping!
She's very healthy, and 1.5 inches long. I love mine so much that I have ordered a male who will be arriving tomorrow! I think you'd be happier with one of these, as you'd have to be constantly worried about your EBC attacking your fish.

Agent13 11-20-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RackinRocky (Post 3439298)
Just a suggestion--have you considered an orange dwarf crayfish? (CPO). I have one, and have totally fallen in love. They are so fun to watch, entertaining, and cute to boot, bright orange! I think you'd be much better off with one of these than the Electric Blues. These are usually not aggressive, and I have one in my female betta tank with no problems whatsoever. I have red cherry shrimp in there too, but the cray is so slow to catch them, although the bettas do occasionally:roll:
I got mine on ebay. I paid $13 and change, and that included shipping!
She's very healthy, and 1.5 inches long. I love mine so much that I have ordered a male who will be arriving tomorrow! I think you'd be happier with one of these, as you'd have to be constantly worried about your EBC attacking your fish.

I completely agree! I have two of these in a couple tanks that i saved from my ornate bichir and i love them! They havent shown excessive agression and are loads smaller then my electric blue crays. The electric blues are a scary 5 inches each now while my CPOs are maybe 3/4s an inch now max.

steelersx 11-20-2013 12:33 PM

I am stunned that I could buy one of these on Ebay. I had no idea there was a fish trade there. I am new to this site so I guess I have a lot to learn.
I just ordered my 180 gallon tank and I am waiting to get the sump built. I will will look at the smaller crawfish.

Thanks

RackinRocky 11-20-2013 06:52 PM

Oh, jealous! You'll have so much fun with a 180 gallon! I was also stunned to find you can buy shrimp, crabs, crays, and even fish on ebay. You won't be sorry if you get a CPO. Just watching their antics and mannerisms is addicting!