Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Aquarium size advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/aquarium-size-advice-303793/)

steelersx 11-16-2013 04:11 PM

Aquarium size advice

I was all set to plunk down the money for a sweet 150 gallon tank when I looked at the 180 gallon and asked the price. The guy told the price difference was very small.
So my question:
Considering I am going to set up a fresh water tank with a few cichlids I already have. (1 EBJD, a Red Head Cichlid, and 5 small Congo Tetras.) should I spend the extra money for the additional 30 gallons (6 inches of width)? The money really isn't the issue, more the diminishing returns thing. Don't really plan on ever setting up a reef tank.

Some thought?
Thanks in advance.

Ogre44 11-16-2013 04:41 PM

A bigger footprint is always better.
You're fish will have more room for territories and additional swimming room will be appreciated

DKRST 11-16-2013 04:54 PM

I agree. It's like having a larger hard drive on the computer - it's better to have too much room than too little! I guess it comes down to what's the definition of a "very small" price difference?

You may want to compare the two tanks to verify the depth is easy to work in for cleaning/maintenance. I'm not sure of the dimension differences.

steelersx 11-16-2013 05:18 PM

It is six inches deeper than the 150 and the same height.
I'm sure it's a bear to clean but I have a couple food grade centrifugal pumps I am going to use to refill the tank.

The extra price is $150 and probably another $150 for the stand. Not much in the grand scheme of things.

I'm actually really excited to give my two 2 inch fish and my five 0.5 inch fish a huge home. at least until they grow.

steelersx 11-16-2013 05:20 PM

Can I ask another stupid questions
does anyone ever treat the tank with de-chlorinator after refilling?

Tolak 11-16-2013 09:12 PM

Yes, in the tanks I have drilled for water changes, which is 16 ATM. Fill straight from the tap, time it out at 4gpm. When it's done wait a minute or two for it to stop draining, add dechlor.

DKRST 11-16-2013 10:21 PM

I actually avoid adding the dechlorinator directly to the tank unless I mess up. I have a 44 gallon Rubbermaid bucket I use for my weekly 125g tank's water changes. I run water into it, drop in a big 'ol aquarium heater, hang an old HOB on the trash can's side for circulation, add Prime dechlorinator and come back in a bit - waters dechlorinated, temp's perfect, and in the meantime I've drained and filled my other tanks and cleaned, drained, & pruned the plants my 125.

I'm not so much worried about the chlorine (although my water company's chlorine levels vary a huge amount, I can smell it strongly from my faucets this week). I'm more interested in conserving Prime (sometimes I just let the water circulate overnight to dechlorinate) and I have lots of difficulty getting the temp correct from my taps in winter. The container helps me avoid temperature shocks.

I don't think you'll regret having the larger tank!

Agent13 11-16-2013 11:46 PM

I add prime as I'm almost full again when refilling my tanks. I would be fine I'm sure doing it after I'm done but I don't trust myself to remember.

Ogre44 11-17-2013 07:19 AM

I mix enough prime for the entire tank with a gallon of water and add it to the tank and then start the hose :)

jaysee 11-17-2013 07:38 AM

I pour the prime into the tank once I start refilling. It's all the same difference.