Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-aquarium-30375/)

MoneyMitch 10-10-2009 07:52 PM

New aquarium

so my neighbor threw out his old reptile tank (29 gallons) so i went and scooped it up. its glass and was used for a small snake. what do i do to clean it? i plan on using it as a q tank

mollies 10-10-2009 08:09 PM

warm water and elbow greas. then let dry for a day or 2 then start puting you deco in. Nice score!!!!!!!!!

JohnnyD44 10-10-2009 08:29 PM

you could use some vinegar too money....but I'm always 2nd guessing using chemicals...I always cleaned my tank, like mollies said, with some plain paper towels and some elbow grease.

congrats on the tank!!!

okijapan 10-10-2009 08:43 PM

I'd use bleach if it housed a reptile.Just remember to rinse obsessively, then let it sit in the sun for a few days, then once again rinse obsessively. This should kill and nasty disease or bacteria that may be lurking.

Why did he get rid of the tank? Did the snake die or was it sold to someone else?

MoneyMitch 10-10-2009 09:06 PM

it outgrew this one, thanks for the info guys. its gunna work out great cause i already have hoods that will fit it and lights from my 55 that i can transfer over when i get my new lights.

redlessi 10-11-2009 09:54 AM

make sure it is a tank that can hold water for fish, some reptile tanks are really thin and not designed to hold water.

JouteiMike 10-11-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlessi (Post 255872)
make sure it is a tank that can hold water for fish, some reptile tanks are really thin and not designed to hold water.

This was the first thing that went through my head too. If the tank was intended for reptile use only, like a critter cage, then it will not be a good idea to use it as a fish tank. Could you take a picture of it? Also, measure the thickness of the glass, and inspect the silicone seal to make sure it still looks decent. It's very important to find out if it is even an actual fish tank first.

I would HIGHLY recommend staying away from using any kind of harsh chemicals, even bleach to clean the tank. All you will need is to rinse the tank thoroughly, and maybe give it a scrub with a clean brush or rag. Use hot water if you wish, and a small amount of vinegar would be okay too.

MoneyMitch 10-11-2009 09:03 PM

glass is a little less than 1/4 a inch, ive filled it with water and it holds it just fine and in fact its still got water in it out in my gargae to see if itll hold up. i ended up using windex on it, that was the same stuff i used on my 55 thats set up now and everythings fine. i just let the tank hold water for about two weeks before i added any fish.

JouteiMike 10-12-2009 05:44 AM

Eeek, windex. I wouldn't recommend using windex to anyone. But best of luck with your new tank, you seem to know what you are doing..

MoneyMitch 10-12-2009 09:38 AM

i do now thanks to you guys :P