Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   bottom dwellers for tiger barbs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/bottom-dwellers-tiger-barbs-3037/)

Neufusion 02-04-2007 12:13 PM

bottom dwellers for tiger barbs

are tiger barbs compatible with ghost shrimp and/or plecostmus?

musho3210 02-04-2007 12:20 PM

well im pretty sure the ghost shrimp is fine but the pleco might have some problems, are you going to keep those three tiger barbs or get more? if you have 6+ they will be less agressive towards other fish.

Amphitrite 02-04-2007 01:06 PM

Personally, I would be wary of keeping tiger barbs with bottom dwellers, even if the barbs are in a large group.

I speak from experience when I added a group of 9 tiger barbs to my community tank, thinking that in a large group they would leave the other fish alone. They killed one cory and damaged a pleco and numerous other fish (which fortunately I didn't lose).

I had to move the barbs to another tank.

As for shrimp - I really can't answer that as I've never kept them.

FDStation152 02-05-2007 01:44 AM

I always reccomend ghost shrimp for such applications. The main plus side is that they are very cheap so if the tiger barbs do decide to kill them well you didn't lost nearly as much money as you would if they killed another bottom dwelling fish.

tophat665 02-08-2007 05:18 PM

The other option is to go with a catfish that will stay hidden while the barbs are active, and come out while they sleep. If the barbs are grown, maybe a Raphael would be a good night time cleaner. If you have smaller fish or a sand substrate, you could probably go with a bajo catfish or two. They'll burrow right out of sight if harassed.

Still, at 10 cents a pop, ghost shrimp really can't be beat for price.

JTheFishGuyG 02-08-2007 06:36 PM

Plecostomus

If you have a shoal of 6 to 8 yes the aggression will go down but the plecostomus should have no problem as long as you by it prior to getting your tiger barbs so the plecostomus has more time to grow thus will not really be a threatened by attacking tiger barbs having time to grow plecos are very tough fish. just make sure you had the tiger barbs long enough for the pleco to have some food putting a pleco in a new setup is bad news.

Dk 02-13-2007 07:11 PM

I had 1/2 a dozen tiger barbs mixed with plecs corys, loaches, guaramis, and tetras. The only fish they didnt bother was the clown plec, btu then again he hid in his caves on on wood so i dont think they even knew he was there.

Neufusion 02-23-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
well im pretty sure the ghost shrimp is fine but the pleco might have some problems, are you going to keep those three tiger barbs or get more? if you have 6+ they will be less agressive towards other fish.

I got a sailfin plecostomus and he fit in well. The barbs are still very small so they leave the pleco alone. He can also raise his fin to look bigger and scare them away.

My next questions are -
are ghost shrimp compatible with plecos?

what about gouramis?

JTheFishGuyG 02-23-2007 03:56 PM

tank

I have a tiger barb tank setup in fact im getting 2 more for my tank im building it slowly another question will my tiger barbs take kindly to there new mates

mr.bojangles 04-08-2007 09:22 PM

try a red-tailed shark