Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   CPO crays--male & female (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/cpo-crays-male-female-303473/)

RackinRocky 11-15-2013 11:25 PM

CPO crays--male & female

Well, I recently got what turned out to be a female CPO crayfish. I have fallen in love. So much so that I now want to get a male. My female is in my betta sorority tank, which is a 20 gallon, along with one female guppy, 2 otos and cherry shrimp.

I'd like to keep them together (the male and female cray) but am afraid they might fight, and one might get hurt or even killed. Does this happen often with a male and female? Or should I put the male into my 10 gallon endler tank? (Only have 5 endlers, a guppy and a few cherry shrimp in there. If I decide to breed them at some point, do I put the male in with the female, or the other way around? I just don't want to take any chances, so if there are risks of fighting, I would just as soon keep them in separate tanks. Thanks!

ao 11-16-2013 01:20 AM

They will be fine together ^_^ a ten gallon is plenty of room for a pair of CPOs :)

As long as you have plenty of hiding place for them, they will do just fine

Sent from Petguide.com App

RackinRocky 11-16-2013 10:09 PM

Well, it sure makes me happy to hear that! I think I'll keep them both in the 20 gallon then. Thank you!

ao 11-16-2013 10:47 PM

yay!
I do notice you have rcs... they'll readily eat them if they can catch them O_O

RackinRocky 11-16-2013 11:03 PM

Well, I've caught my female bettas eating the RCS's too, so that is no big deal. My current CPO does grab at the RCS's, but the shrimp are too fast for them. So I don't see why a betta, who is slower, seems to have more luck catching them. Doesn't matter to much to me though. I like the shrimp, but I like the CPOs better, so whatever happens, happens, lol. Let nature take it's course...

RackinRocky 11-18-2013 12:18 AM

My male will be here Wednesday. I can't wait! I sure hope they can both be in the 20 gallon with no problems. I'll post pics when I get him.

edricong 11-25-2013 04:36 AM

Hey!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi i also keep crayfish. I have those guys in the pic, 2 of the. They fight when one wanders into another's territory, these fights last several seconds and the 'loser' backs off immediately resulting in no injuries or death (one of them lost a small bit of feelers once which recovered after a moult). They fight over food sometimes

RackinRocky 11-25-2013 08:11 PM

Hi Tightmuffin! I have the male now, and they have had a couple of squabbles, but nothing that lasted over 3 seconds, lol. I can't tell them apart! They have shown no mating behavior as of yet. I love these little guys! Love your pic--looks just like mine.

edricong 11-25-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RackinRocky (Post 3484073)
Hi Tightmuffin! I have the male now, and they have had a couple of squabbles, but nothing that lasted over 3 seconds, lol. I can't tell them apart! They have shown no mating behavior as of yet. I love these little guys! Love your pic--looks just like mine.

Do u think the rule of 1inch of fish per gallon applies for crayfish?? not that i want to have 10crayfish in a 10gallon tank, as in compatability with other species, what species do u reccomend to be with crayfish??

RackinRocky 11-25-2013 10:58 PM

From what I've read, a pair of dwarf cray fish are fine in a 10 gallon tank, and a couple of pairs in a 20 gallon tank. But I would be worried about having more than that, as I'd be afraid that with crowding, there would be more fighting. They do stake out territories, especially when breeding behaviors are going on. Keep in mind I've only had my two for a short time, so lack experience, but I've read up and researched them for many hours before I decided to get my first one.

So no, the one inch per gallon rule wouldn't apply to cray fish. That's an outdated rule anyway, as some fish have more of a bio-load than others (they poop more). From what I understand, cray fish have a high bio-load too. I've decided I'm going to have three (a male and two females) in my 20 gallon, and a pair in my 10 gallon.

As for fish, everyone seems to have a different opinion, but so far, my crays get along fine with my bettas. They are in my sorority tank. There is also a guppy in there, and red cherry shrimp. There have been no problems at all. At first the bettas were very interested, but that wore off quickly. The crays will extend their claws if the bettas get too close, and are seemingly threatening them, but the bettas just swim away, and I've had no incidents.

I have read, by the way, that even the dwarves can become cannibalistic, so you have to be prepared in case that happens. When they molt, they are very vulnerable to being eaten because their skin is so soft. I sure hope it doesn't happen, but at least I'm aware of the possibility. If that starts happening, I won't replace them. I may end up with just one eventually, and that's still fine with me!