Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Stressed Guppy Female? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/stressed-guppy-female-30331/)

Xiles 10-09-2009 10:30 PM

Stressed Guppy Female?

I have eight guppies in my 75g currently, along with nine cories and four dwarf frogs. Oh, and a male betta.

My question is about one of my female guppies. She looks very pregnant, but I'm worried about her. The other female guppies in my tank are a rich, golden yellow colour - they all started off as pale yellow when I got them from my LFS, and have been brightening up over time. However, this one female has gotten to a very pale, almost white colour. Half the time she swims with the other guppies, and the other half she hangs out near the heater or filter.

I don't know if I should worry or not? The males seem to pester her all at once; they'll leave her alone, then all three will gang up and flitter around and show off and not leave her alone at all. She tries to get away but they follow her.

My tank has several caves and plants she could hide in, but she doesn't. Maybe I shouldn't worry? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edit: I realise she may just be getting ready to give birth, but what about the males bothering her? I don't want anything bad to happen with my first guppies.

eileen 10-10-2009 11:44 AM

I would take her out. If you have more males then females they will pester the females to death. If she is pregnate the males always pester the bigger pregnate females. They are their to eat the new born fry that pop out and want to be the next in line to impregnate the female. I have a 5 gal. tank set up just for females. I only keep about 2 females at all times. I just breed them to get the Fancy male guppies. A tank full of male guppies are really pretty. I find that the females are drab looking. All other livebearers have the nice colors between the sexes except for the female guppies. You might get lucky and get a female guppy with a nice colored tail. If you have way more female then males then they are not as stressed as the males have more females to chase. I have a 55 gal. tank with smaller fish and 1 6" large angelfish and some Boesmani rainbow fish. Any excess babies that I do not want goes to the bigger fish in the tank to eat. It may sound mean but The guppies pop out fry every 28 days or so and with more females then males you get alot of fry babies. That's why I keep 1 angelfish and some bigger fish to keep the population down. If you have a breeder net to put her in or maybe a small 2.5 gal tank handy I would remove her. Hanging out by the heater is a sign she might give birth and also not eating the day before . She will seem like she is eating but spits the food out a sign of giving birth soon and squaring off in the back, gravid spot being very black in color also.

Xiles 10-10-2009 05:41 PM

I don't have another tank set up that I could put her in ... the only other tank I have has catfish that I'm afraid would eat her. :/

There are three males to five females. Do you think adding three or four more females would settle things down? I'm not currently looking to keep any of the fry - I expect they'll just become frog food when they drop - but I actually like the way both male and female guppies look. XD The females have a nice glassfish appearance I appreciate.

eileen 10-10-2009 06:43 PM

I think that 5 females to 3 males is ok. I'm not sure if adding more females will solve your problem. With a betta and the frogs in the tank that should take care of the over population of frys. If you have alot of plant cover and hiding places that might be better. Male guppies all they think about is to mate with the females. I have all males in a 5 gal. and they still display infront of the other males. I think it is a wait and see. She is about to have babies and the males will try to be there to eat the frys that come out. You should get a hospital tank 2-5 gal. as a quarentine tank or hospital tank for new fish to put in for 1-2 weeks before adding to your main tank and it's nice to have if you have problems with aggressive fish. I knew someone that his whole breeding stock died as a result in not quarentining a guppy he got from Thiland that gave all the fish in his tank something. You can go out a get a breeder net thing that sits inside your tank this works to seperate fish and they also carry a partion that goes in the tank as some pets stores. Petco carries the net thing and Petsmart I think I saw the partion thing for 10, 20, 55, tanks. I wish you luck!

kitten_penang 10-10-2009 07:08 PM

i agree with eileen more females will help with her from not getting roughed up but is your aquarium large enough? another thing is the time you need to quarantin the new fishes before letting them into your established tank .will your fish be ok till then and last but not least a few new females means a few more mouth to feed on your babbies.try to get a smaller breeder aquarium thats attachable inside your main tank.it's a special aquarium for live bearrers.it's submerged and attached inside you main tank it has a special bottom area that only the babbies can swim into.leaving mom and dads hungry mouths at bay.once she's given birth remove the babbies inside the breeder tank into a holding tank for them to grow a small plant will help them adjust and hide.belive me that small breeder tank saved me a lot of worried stay up and wait time.

Xiles 10-10-2009 10:32 PM

My aquarium should be big enough - it's 75 gallons, lol.

I have a 10 gallon I'm setting up as a hospital tank, so that's not a worry in the future, but I don't want to use it as a breeding tank if it's going to be the hospital tank. XD I didn't know about the breeding aquarium though. I might look into it, but for the most part I'm not looking to raise guppies yet. I just didn't want my female to get hurt for now.

I expect I'll lose a few batches of fry before I'm ready to start rearing them. I may go the natural route, as I'm scaping more caves and some Java moss into my tank. I'm not sure though - my heart may not be able to take it. XD

At any rate, I appreciate the advice about the female. I just didn't want her to die or anything.

ChristinaRoss 10-17-2009 10:04 AM

i had basically the same question, im glad i found some answers here

bearwithfish 10-18-2009 07:21 PM

another solution may be to set up a divider to keep her away from the others until she delivers. just to give her some space... an easy DIY one can be made from plastic canvas for under $3...