Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   No water changes ever!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/no-water-changes-ever-303073/)

redthebetta 11-15-2013 01:45 PM

No water changes ever!!

I'm thinking about how I can lower my maintenance in my very well stocked community tank. I know this isn't new but hey, it works!
What you need:
  • 6 ft of airline tubing ($3)
  • 2 airline valves ($2)
  • 2 buckets ($10)
Sorry that I can't post pictures but here's how to make it:
  1. cut the tubing in half
  2. attach the 2 valves, one on each tube
  3. fill 1 bucket
  4. start a siphon bupy sucking on the end of the tube so water flows from the full bucket to the tank
  5. do the same with the other one but make it pull water into the tank
  6. adjust the vales so the flow slowly and at the same rate
Now all you have to do is fill one bucket and empty the other one each day! If you are smart, you could run a dedicated pipe to the bucket and an output directly to a drain so you have 0 maintenance! This works great on fry tanks!

jaysee 11-15-2013 02:08 PM

Let me get this straight - water flows from bucket A (which would have to be higher than the tank) to the tank, and then from the tank into bucket B (which would have to be below the tank). Is that right?

redthebetta 11-15-2013 02:09 PM

Yes.

Ogre44 11-15-2013 02:28 PM

What about the buildup of solid waste at the bottom of the tank?

jaysee 11-15-2013 02:29 PM

I don't understand how this is "no water changes ever". You are still changing the water, only now you risk overflowing the bucket and draining your tank, and are a slave to it. You are still required to carry buckets of water, but only now you have to put 50 lbs of water up higher than the tank (on a shelf??). That's a dangerous setup, just asking for trouble. I would never attempt something so risky, especially with no reward to be had.

redthebetta 11-15-2013 03:46 PM

Ok, whatever, I still find this easier. And I may have exaggerated about the no water changes ever part. You still need to gavel vac.

UncleEasy3000 11-15-2013 04:19 PM

I would stress out over just one of these factors:

-Overflowing a bucket (Have you checked how long it takes for a bucket to fill up using an air tube? What if you got stuck in traffic on the way home or where delayed in any way?)

-Draining my tank and killing my stock.

- Overflowing my tank (which is likely if something like food or waste got caught in only one line and not the other)

-Figuring out how to secure a bucket over my tank without the weight of a full bucket falling down.

-Having to change bucket on the buckets terms and not my own. Nothing like a water change when you're in the middle of doing something.

-Still having to vacuum to substrate anyway.

Have you actually tried this? Do you have a picture of the above tank bucket? I would love to see this in action.

Personally I would just get some mossballs or plants to eat my Nitrate if I hated doing water changes.. It wouldn't eliminate the necessity, but it would reduce the amount some.

redthebetta 11-15-2013 04:32 PM

-Overflowing a bucket (Have you checked how long it takes for a bucket to fill up using an air tube? What if you got stuck in traffic on the way home or where delayed in any way?)
That's the point of the valve
-Draining my tank and killing my stock.
Once again, valve
- Overflowing my tank (which is likely if something like food or waste got caught in only one line and not the other)
Use an airstone on the end of the intake
-Figuring out how to secure a bucket over my tank without the weight of a full bucket falling down.
Use a shelf of to the side
-Having to change bucket on the buckets terms and not my own. Nothing like a water change when you're in the middle of doing something.
If you have the valves set pretty low, this should not be a problem
-Still having to vacuum to substrate anyway.
Yea
Have you actually tried this? Do you have a picture of the above tank bucket? I would love to see this in action.
Setting it up now

jaysee 11-15-2013 05:41 PM

If the flow is so slow, then what's the point?? ?? Hopefully the water changes faster than the rate of nitrate production.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you really understand what's involved with that of which you speak.

redthebetta 11-15-2013 06:32 PM

The point is that even though it's slow, it still changes enough water to greatly reduce water changes. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIX7HhIrj54