Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Would this mix be ok.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/would-mix-ok-30260/)

Calmwaters 10-08-2009 01:00 PM

Would this mix be ok....

In my 20 gallon planted tank I am thinking about putting 5-7 of each:
Red Minor Tetra
Neon Tetra
Harlequin Rasbora
I have researched them and they all require the same water parimeters and like planted tanks with dark gravel which is what I have. I currently have 6 Neon and 6 Harlequin Rasboras in my 44 gallon and I really like them but I have never had Red Minor Tetras. If you guys see no reason why they would not work out do you think 7 of each would be ok or would that be to much? I of course would add them slowly to the tank not all at once.

Byron 10-08-2009 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 254636)
In my 20 gallon planted tank I am thinking about putting 5-7 of each:
Red Minor Tetra
Neon Tetra
Harlequin Rasbora
I have researched them and they all require the same water parimeters and like planted tanks with dark gravel which is what I have. I currently have 6 Neon and 6 Harlequin Rasboras in my 44 gallon and I really like them but I have never had Red Minor Tetras. If you guys see no reason why they would not work out do you think 7 of each would be ok or would that be to much? I of course would add them slowly to the tank not all at once.

I would avoid red minor tetras. While "common" names are misleading sometimes, since they can refer to several different fish, I suspect these are Hyphessobrycon eques, another common name for which is Serpae Tetra. Photo below for info.

These are notorious fin nippers. When kept in a large group of more than 9 or 10 they sometimes confne their nipping to themselves [notice the frayed fins in the photo]. But often they lash out at any other fish in the tank. Not good tankmates in anything less than a quite large aquarium. But I would never even consider them for my 115g.

If you like the red colour, there are several species of Hyphessobrycon that are ideally suited to community tanks with other characins and rasbora. Hyphessobrycon robertsi [Roberts Tetra; the scientific name is questionable as some ichthyologists thought this fish was a hybrid but Dr. Jacques Gery determined it is a valid species but to my knowledge it has not yet been officially named] is particularly beautiful, and there is Hyphessobrycon bentosi, H. bentosi rosaceus [Rosy Tetra], and the true Red Phantom, H. sweglesi [this one has a "black" cousin, the Black Phantom, H. megalopterus].

Byron.

Calmwaters 10-09-2009 08:17 AM

Yes that is the one I was thinking about but will stay away from now. I did notice that alot of the ones in the tank had choppy looking fins but thought maybe it was due to shipping/small space. Thanks again.

shane3fan 10-13-2009 09:44 PM

danger danger--lol

I had a few of those in a tank--they drove ALL of my fish insane--including my Rainbow Shark and my Paradise Fish which I figured would intimidate them--nope.

I took them back to the store and swapped them for some Julii Corydoras.

MoneyMitch 10-13-2009 09:53 PM

maybe look into rummy nose tetras they look pretty cool

Calmwaters 10-14-2009 09:00 AM

Thanks for your help guys.

teddyzaper 10-16-2009 07:14 PM

i think 7 of each would be a bit much. maybe 4-5 of each. go for rummy nose tetras! they are amazing.

zombiefish610 10-16-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddyzaper (Post 258657)
i think 7 of each would be a bit much. maybe 4-5 of each. go for rummy nose tetras! they are amazing.

I have a small school of 7 Rummy Nose Tetra's and I love em. Great schooling fish and they like to play too!!