Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   The BGK Challenge / Re-Doing the 75 gal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/bgk-challenge-re-doing-75-gal-302481/)

Flint 11-14-2013 12:28 PM

The BGK Challenge / Re-Doing the 75 gal

Alright everyone, so as you know, I got a BGK (and lost it) this week. My other thread got crowded and was no longer about the original BGK so I thought it was best left for the archives. Well, I returned my Oscar this morning and picked up a ceramic log to add to the tank. The LFS was the next stop and they aren't getting the BGK shipment in until 3pm so I won't be getting a new one today. I am honestly thinking about waiting until their next shipment for the QT to establish a bit more and so I can change out the substrate that is raising my pH to what I will now be using in the other tank. I have had to completely break down my 75 after it sprung a leak. ):

The QT;
Here is the tank as it sits this moment;
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psff2db690.jpg
It's reading 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5-ish nitrates. Without the Oscar in it, I put fish food in the net for ammonia. I'll be using actual ammonia to re-cycle the 75 but I have to be careful because I am 6 months pregnant. I am going to switch the sand Monday or Tuesday to PFS and watch for any spikes in my readings. If I have an all clear after that week, then I will be adding the BGK the week after.

The BGK;
I have ordered Hikari Carnivore pellets and NLS community pellets (they were out of the appropriate sized general pellets when I ordered) I also have API bottom feeder shrimp pellets, Hikari Cichlid Gold and another brand shrimp pellets I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment. As far as frozen foods, I have Bloodworms, Beefheart and Brine Shrimp as well as freeze-dried bloodworms.

The 75;
I have thrown all of my gravel out and am going to be switching to PFS.

So far, I'd like to stock 2 pairs of angels, and grow-out a BGK, a fire eel and a small school (5) clown loaches.
I have a deal worked out with the LFS regarding the loaches where once they get too large for the tank, they will take them back and give me 5 smaller ones (the larger ones bring more profit for them). Everyone will be moved to a plywood 300 gal I'm building when they get too large but the eel and BGK are so slow growing it'll be a while. Would two pairs of angels be okay in this tank or should I stick to one? I am having a hard time finding information online but the general consensus seems to be they have a 2ft territory so that would mean my 4ft tank would be fine.

I am switching the filtration on the tank to two Emperor 400s and possibly eventually a canister as well. What is the best thing to put in the media baskets on the Emperors?

Thank you in advance for all of your advice,
Timber

On a side note, is there a way to change your username? I wasn't paying attention when I made my account and was just throwing my name in slots. I really don't like that it is my name. Thanks again!

jaysee 11-14-2013 12:35 PM

Don't waste money on the HOBs - go straight to the canister(s).

Flint 11-14-2013 12:36 PM

The canister was gonna come along when I got rich, lol. I'm on a limited budget as of now.

jaysee 11-14-2013 01:01 PM

Don't need to be rich to run canisters. The sunsun canisters are very affordable. I have 4 of them and like them very much.

Flint 11-14-2013 01:06 PM

Sunsuns are around $100, I ordered two emperor 400s for $79. I figured the two emperors would be better than one sunsun right now.

I just saw a mosquito-larve looking thing in the tank. Just one and very very small. What could it be?

jaysee 11-14-2013 01:12 PM

The big 525 GPH one comes in at a little under $100. The 370 GPH model is about $75 and the 265 GPH model is about $50.

No, they are not better than the canister. Not even close. There really is no comparison between HOBs and canisters.

rexpepper651 11-14-2013 01:18 PM

yeah i used hobs. got a fluval 406 way badass. never going back ever. **** son id put a canister on a 20g before i use a hob again.

Flint 11-14-2013 01:23 PM

Which one (gph) would you recommend alongside the emperors? I'll be sure to get that next. The inhabitants need a very clean tank so I'm all for adding another filter, not to mention I've never run a canister before, exciting!

jaysee 11-14-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimberleeFields (Post 3401833)
Which one (gph) would you recommend alongside the emperors? I'll be sure to get that next. The inhabitants need a very clean tank so I'm all for adding another filter, not to mention I've never run a canister before, exciting!

I don't recommend any be used in conjunction with two emperor 400s. Too much water movement for a 75.

Were it my tank I would get a 370 and a 265.

Flint 11-14-2013 01:43 PM

Which do you suggest getting first? I'm going to cycle with the HOBs just because I already ordered them but the canisters will be replacing them as soon as possible, one at a time.