Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   HELP! What have I done? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-what-have-i-done-30247/)

Curious1 10-08-2009 06:01 AM

HELP! What have I done?

Iíve made huge mistake and donít know what to do. I finally bought my new aquarium and set it up last night. I didnít sleep a wink last night because the water pouring back into the aquarium from the filter sounded like a trickling faucet or pouring water into a glass all night! The pump on this filter is not the problem it is very quiet. The problem is the water pouring back into the aquarium from the filter. This is a filter hanging on the back of the outside of the tank. Does ANYONE have any ideas on what I can do to silence this? If not Iím going to have to disassemble everything and take it back. *sad*H2 Thank you.

1077 10-08-2009 06:21 AM

Raise the water level in the aquarium so that water doesn't fall as far to the surface. Should make it more quiet.

JohnnyD44 10-08-2009 06:23 AM

yeah, I agree

the only real noise I hear in mine is the pump motor and it's quiet!

PlatinumBlue 10-08-2009 01:22 PM

I cut a small plastic cup in half and secured it with a rubber band under the outflow of the filter so the lip of it just touched the surface of the water and it is silent now. I've read some people on here use plastic soda bottles much the same way. Try some of that stuff. I don't fill my tank up to the rim either and I will not sleep a wink if I hear one drop of it either.

willieturnip 10-08-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlatinumBlue (Post 254649)
I cut a small plastic cup in half and secured it with a rubber band under the outflow of the filter so the lip of it just touched the surface of the water and it is silent now. I've read some people on here use plastic soda bottles much the same way. Try some of that stuff. I don't fill my tank up to the rim either and I will not sleep a wink if I hear one drop of it either.

Why not just fill the tank to the brim?

Romad 10-09-2009 06:17 AM

Yup. Water level.
When I hear my water splashing I know it's time to top off the tank.

andrewr2488 10-09-2009 06:11 PM

i agree with 1077, simply have the water level just under the water flow and it should help.

PlatinumBlue 10-10-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willieturnip (Post 254688)
Why not just fill the tank to the brim?

Because I don't want to. :lol:

PlatinumBlue 10-10-2009 11:06 AM

No seriously,it's a tank for my african clawed frog and I can't top it off...I have to leave two inches away from the top,they are escape artists.