Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   gourami breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/gourami-breeding-30188/)

biokid101 10-06-2009 07:46 PM

gourami breeding

i have two flame gouramis(male and female). one day my female want to mate and my male doesnt.another day my male wants to mate but the female isnt interested. i know they build nests for their eggs. ive had them for about 2 weeks now and i still havent gotten a nest. Do they need debris on the top of the tank to make a nest or do they just make a bubble nest? also what are some signs of mating? if u can post a picture of a gourami nest so i cant tell when they r building it thank you.:-D

kald 10-06-2009 08:09 PM

A gourami builds bubble nests yes, but think about it.. Strong current will damage it by spreading it around and dispersing it, rendering it useless.

I recommend chopping a styfofoam cup in half and placing it in an area of the tank with the least amount of curren from the filter. This helps to form a shelter for the nest as well as protection from current.

That's my bit of into. I hope more people respond :D

biokid101 10-06-2009 08:49 PM

ok thx. i want to know one thing. do they use debris from the tank to build a nest or do they just blow bubbles like bettas do?

kald 10-06-2009 09:21 PM

To my knowledge they are the same as bettas when it comes to bubble nests, but I may be wrong.

Google is your friend :D

biokid101 10-06-2009 09:24 PM

ok i have a 36 gallon tank with some fish in it and do they bother the nest?i have a angelfish 2 gouramis 4 swordtails 3 corys and a pleco.

biokid101 10-15-2009 06:51 AM

still no sign of breeding anywhere but my gouramis keep nipping each other.

redlessi 10-15-2009 02:29 PM

they will nip at each other and possibly hurt each other. most people would suggest only 1 gourami in that size tank.

biokid101 10-15-2009 03:21 PM

one is aboy and one is a girl i know it because the boy has a longer dorsal fin and the girl has it smaller.im going to get a styrofoam cup to put in my betta tank and my 36 gallon tank.

ironside 10-16-2009 05:23 AM

Hello Biokid.
I breed T. leeri regularly and yes, they need some help to build the nest. First of all, they need an aquarium for their own and that's, maybe, the reason the male isn't building a nest. In this new aqua, put plenty of Vallisnerias and let them grow to the point the leaves are floating on the surface, like a mesh. That's where the male will build his nest. In this aquarium, which shoul be at least the same size of your actual, keep only the pair and a pair of Corys. Provide some shelter, rocks, plant thickets, for the female (not necessary with leeries) as the male sometimes get nasty.
When the fry are free swimming, collect them with a rice spoon and take them to a third aquarium, smaller one, with no more tham 15 cm of the same water they were born in, assuming that this water is perfectly treated (filter, temperature, pH, etc), no plants except a ball of Java moss and adequate food (microworms, brine shrimp nauplii etc).
With everything controlled, you shouldl have a very high output of young gouramies.
Good luck.

biokid101 10-16-2009 06:29 AM

what are vallisnerias?