Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Bolivian rams starting to show aggression (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/bolivian-rams-starting-show-aggression-3018/)

musho3210 02-03-2007 05:57 PM

Bolivian rams starting to show aggression

My two new bolivian rams are starting to show aggression, they are restricted on each others side of the tank, one of them gets the left side of the tank while the otehr gets the right side of the tank, when one of them invades the others territorry they start to fight and go lipped lock until one swims back to there territory, is there any way to stop this aggressive nature?

Please note that before they enter each others territory they "warn" each other by widening there fins and flaring there gills, if the other fish doesnt back down they will fight.

Lupin 02-03-2007 07:04 PM

Bolivians are cichlids. What would you expect from cichlids? Cichlids have multiple personalities thus making them either predictable or unpredictable. Just leave them alone and keep a watch on them. No serious damage will happen. You need to provide them more plants and slates for them to hide. They do not really mark territories but merely try to spar and fight a lot based on what I had observed with my own bolivians.

pleco_cory_fan 02-03-2007 07:05 PM

All rams will usally show aggression somewhere down the track if you have a male and female they wont fight often just to find there space and get used to each other as long as they have enough space they should be fine.

musho3210 02-03-2007 07:08 PM

ok but ive noticed my fat dark one on one side all the time, while the other lighter color one stays on the other side. I have plants in there and in my main tank there will be tons of hiding spots.

pleco_cory_fan 02-03-2007 07:25 PM

If there just settling in don't worry about it they will probaly swim together soon.

scottysgirl 02-05-2007 02:31 PM

I have three rams in my 30 gallon, and they fight quite a bit. They never do any damage to each other, but they do the flared out gills, biting each other--the whole bit. As mentioned earlier, they are cichlids, they'll probably always fight a little. As long as one isn't getting picked on severely you should be fine, besides they are right entertaining!

musho3210 02-05-2007 08:47 PM

my bolivians are growing gold chests, is this a sign of maturity, secual readiness or something bad?

Lupin 02-05-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
my bolivians are growing gold chests, is this a sign of maturity, secual readiness or something bad?

It's part of the natural coloration as they mature.

musho3210 02-05-2007 08:59 PM

ok good, i was getting a bit scared then

evvabeing 02-08-2007 12:12 PM

no damage eh?

i have 2 rams (bolivian / golden...not sure what sex they are). i've had them for about 6 weeks and everything was fine until a few days ago. up until then they would only do the display stuff and the lip lock, but then, one of the rams started bowing down to the other, and the one not bowing would peck the others head. so now, the ram that would bow has quite a chunk missing...i can see some blood and skull. it's trying to hide (there are lots of plants and rocks to hid in) but the aggressive one keeps finding and chasing. what do i do?!?!? it's so not a fun thing to watch...