Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   I bought yet another tank.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/i-bought-yet-another-tank-30165/)

Calmwaters 10-06-2009 09:45 AM

I bought yet another tank....

I went to yard sales with my mom this weekend and found a deal I could not pass up.:lol: Its a 20 gallon high with the stand and tank for $20.00. My dad and I made a hood for it out of plexiglass and an extra light that I already had. Now I just have to decide what I want to put in it. I was thinking about Cichlids but would like something that would stay on the small side if there are any. Also my ph from what I have studied is not high enough for most of the Cichlids but at my LFS they sale a rock that they say should raise my ph to a good level for these fish. I am just looking right now it will be later this week before I get the filter for it. I have always has tropical community fish and would like to try something different any suggestions on fish will be appreciated.

aunt kymmie 10-06-2009 01:29 PM

A new tank...congrats. :-) A tall tank has less surface area for oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange, so you can't stock it quite as heavily as you could a 20 regular or 20 long. You wouldn't want to keep fish that require a lot of horizontal swimming space. Angel fish look great in tall tanks but a 20 is a tad too small for an angel. I really love the dwarf cichlids but I'm not sure the footprint of a 20 tall offers enough room for more than one. I wonder if a freshwater puffer would work in a tall tank??

MXS 10-06-2009 04:49 PM

You could put a bunch of dwarf puffers in there!

Calmwaters 10-07-2009 09:02 AM

I call it tall but I mean it is a regular tank. Not a long one it is 24 inches long by about 12 inches wide if I remember right.

Herky 10-14-2009 08:24 PM

Tiger barbs are fun...

Calmwaters 10-15-2009 09:44 AM

Thanks Herky I have decided to go with Peacock Gudgons (the fish in my avitar), Neon Tetras, and Harlequin Raboras.

teddyzaper 10-16-2009 08:00 PM

awww! u coulda put 2 german blue rams in there, that woulda looked amazing!

Calmwaters 10-19-2009 10:56 AM

Yes the German Blue Rams are very pretty but this is going to be a planted tank and German Blues are not readily avaliable here and if I am not mistaken the rams would tear up my plants. But they are pretty fish.

NC Frank 10-19-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 259953)
Yes the German Blue Rams are very pretty but this is going to be a planted tank and German Blues are not readily avaliable here and if I am not mistaken the rams would tear up my plants. But they are pretty fish.

I have a Bolivian, a German Blue and a Gold ram in my planted community and they haven't touched any of the plants ... yet. :)

bearwithfish 10-19-2009 10:33 PM

guppies or platties are wonderful ... oh or dwarf gouramies they would be really cool.....congrats on the new tank :)