Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   BGK stressed but wont go in tube? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/bgk-stressed-but-wont-go-tube-301545/)

Flint 11-12-2013 03:04 PM

BGK stressed but wont go in tube?

I just got a bgk and hes really stressed but isn't going into his tube.. just swimming around the filter intake. Any advice?

SeaHorse 11-12-2013 03:07 PM

I would say to turn off the lights for at least today or a full day. Give him time to look around and find that tube in peace and quiet. They are nocturnal aren't they? Or more so than other fish?

Flint 11-12-2013 03:10 PM

Yes, they are nocturnal. I have the lights out. His only tankmate is a 2" oscar.

jaysee 11-12-2013 03:29 PM

Takes them time to settle in. Leave the lights off like was said.

Flint 11-12-2013 03:48 PM

He's sitting on his head straight up and down. He's stressing me out lol.

Sanguinefox 11-12-2013 03:51 PM

My how this place has gone downhill. And no one thinks to ask what the size of the tank is? No question on the conditions of the tank? How old is it is? My heart is there for big fish dude. So take heart to what I say cuz I'm only posting once. These fish need big tanks. To put it in perspective my 150 gallon may be long enough at 6' but 18" is too narrow of a width. Research their usual hardness they need. And look at what you are keeping it in. You shouldn't be keeping BGK with an oscar long term as is. Oscar is going to get big one day and he may not get along so well with the ghost knife. And if you are keeping in in a small tank, shame, dude, shame.

I don't care if you plan to get "bigger one later" because plans fall apart. Also these are super sensitive fish. The are scaleless fish, and stress easy, and can get sick easily when this young.

jaysee 11-12-2013 03:51 PM

That head standing is actually "normal".

Thank you for gracing us with your presence fox. It obviously didn't occur to you that we may not have wanted to blow the OP out of the water with information that doesn't answer their question. There is ALWAYS time to get into all that. It doesn't have to be the FIRST thing that gets said. But I guess it does for you since you will only be saying it once.

No need to shame anyone. That's not what we are about here. It's been a while since we've seen you so keep that in mind please.

Flint 11-12-2013 04:09 PM

The BGK and Oscar are in a QT for three weeks until they can be safely added to my newly cycled 75. The BGK grows slow so I have plenty of time with a 75.

jaysee 11-12-2013 04:16 PM

Sorry about that exchange there. Some peoples passion blinds them to courtesy.

You have about a year before the oscar will start wanting a larger tank. They grow extremely fast. The knife is not an active fish and will do fine in the 75 for a while. The oscar will dictate when you upgrade, not the knife.

Flint 11-12-2013 04:34 PM

Oscars min tank size is a 55 gal 75 is preferred why would I need a larger tank for him?

It's okay, I was on this site many moons ago I know how everyone here is. (: I can see that person has since been banned but I am not worried, there is always someone like that on a forum. I have had forums ban me because I didn't take their advice. I hop a lot but this will be my home for a good amount of time. (: Best forum out there.