Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Any birdie parents out there? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/any-birdie-parents-out-there-301025/)

RainbowhLizzie 11-11-2013 02:47 PM

Any birdie parents out there?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm tired of stressing over my fishies, so somebody talk to me about birds! :lol:
My parakeets learned the cutest thing ever. The boys mimic my little sister's zebra finch to get the girl's attention. The funny thing is that they can't make a certain tap noise, so they tap the nest box to get the noise they want. Soo cute!

From left to right: Mama (female, light turquoise body with a dilute yellow head), Cucumber (Male, bright green with a yellow head), Island (Male, bright blue with a white face), and Paradise (Female, sky blue with a diluted head and gray markings)
The couples are paired up on either side. (Mama+ Cucumber and Island+ Paradise)

SeaHorse 11-11-2013 09:04 PM

Awwww Very Sweet!! Thank you for sharing with us. 2 pairs. Wow and all in one cage. Love it.
I have 2 feathered grandbabies... daughter has a green Parrotlet Jericho and a green Quaker Parrot named Duncan. Both are very cute. The Parrotlet does say a couple of things once in awhile but the Quaker is an absolute HAM. He will sneeze with her, hiccup with her, laugh at things on the TV before they do, blows kisses and says Thank you after. and can purr like the cat and make fart noises. He also tells all the pets in the house they are Good Boys. LOL "Goodboy Jericho, Goodboy Duncan"
His funniest thing he does is to keep all the center spines from the seed sticks, you know the ones that wedge into the cage bars... and moves them ino neat rows from the bottom of his cage up to the top, all lined up, and sometimes he builds a criss-cross kind of hideout with them. Next day you look in and they are all lined up neat in a row again. If he drops one he scolds himself all the way to the bottom of the cage to pick it up and back up again.

Do your guys all get along or do anything funny?

RainbowhLizzie 11-11-2013 09:16 PM

Duncan sounds absolutely adorable! Does he cuddle as well? (Quakers are the cuddler birds, aren't they?) I really want a bird that I can train to talk, but since my budgies were from a friend after about a year, they can't really grasp the concept. They learn noises though. Cucumber tries to mimic the mockingbird that lives near us. It's adorable. I just hope they have babies someday so that I can hand-tame them. So far no luck though.
Mama actually does this adorable thing where she will hold onto the cage bars and will tuck her head between her legs and just swing upside down. She has so much fun doing that, so I gave her a swing and she does the same thing but while swinging. Too cute! Island likes to be a silly boy. I have a "trampoline" that I made for them, and he holds onto the bottom bar upside down and tries to bounce. It looks like he is hopping upside down.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SeaHorse 11-11-2013 10:25 PM

Daughter did used to take Duncan out and yes he would cuddle. Not so much anymore, she has a monster sized dog who is the biggest klutz and can't be trusted. She doesn't get much time to take the birds out separately. But he has a huge cage all to himself but I wish he could come out and fly around a bit. I used to clip their wings for her.
Duncan has an airplane swing and it's funny to see him sitting in it swinging back and forth.
Mama sounds funny too!!
We've had Budgies before and the Males will talk more and usually if kept alone. Females talk less if I remember correctly.
Jericho sits in his coconut shell house. lol. and guards it. Man... the smaller the parrot, the nastier it is. lol

RainbowhLizzie 11-11-2013 10:34 PM

Aww poor birds. It must have veen wonderful to let them out. I must see this "airplane swing"! Please share a picture if you can! And I used to feel the same as to the smaller, the nastier until I met Island. He is such a sweetie for having been an untamed bird.
Yes, males are chatter boxes while girls usually just produce a common chirp sound (unless they get mad at their husbands :lol: ) My males love to whistle and learn fast. My dad's worker was fixing our patio once and he kept whistling a certain tune, and Cucumber learned it within the day. It isn't the best but at least he tries! :lol:
Can't the birdies go into a room away from the dog to stretch their wings? My birds have a HUGE cage with branches for climbing and such, and enough length to fly from one end to the other. But even then, they love flight time outside of the cage.

SeaHorse 11-11-2013 11:27 PM

I know. I'll encourage her to find more time for them and get them out of their cages more often. I do agree.

Here is a picture of one!

Perch Factory | Crazy Cockatiel Swings - Unique Large Parrot Swing

RainbowhLizzie 11-11-2013 11:31 PM

That. Is. Too. Cute!!! Oh my goodness, I could imagine a bird just swinging on that!

RackinRocky 11-12-2013 02:40 PM

I have a Blue and Gold Macaw, a Congo African Gray, A Patagonian Conure, a Dusky Conure, a cockatiel and a Blue Front Amazon. They all have their own personalities, don't they? Budgies will say a lot that you don't realize they are saying if you listen very carefully. They are harder to understand than many others, but very intelligent.

4 of my birds say quite a few things. The Dusky Conure only says "Night-night." He used to say his name (Bobby) but stopped for some reason. I think they get bored of saying the same thing over and over. I used to have a Senegal too, and a Meyer's Parrot, and Eclectus and a Green Cheek Conure. Had to downsize when I got divorced, however. It was REALLY hard to rehome them as I was very attached as I am to all my animals, but it was also too expensive. My birds go through an amazing amount of seeds, nuts and fruits and veggies every week. They are also like having a bunch of two year olds who never grow up, lol!

RainbowhLizzie 11-12-2013 05:50 PM

Oh my goodness... can I petsit for you someday? :lol: How can you manage to keep up with them all? I have trouble with my 4 teeny parakeets as it is.
If I had a choice, I think I would want a green cheek conure someday. They are so cuddly and not very noisy compared to sun conures (which I so desperately want). And they are just so cute in the face. Puppy dog eyes are the cutest and they definately have that

RackinRocky 11-12-2013 09:19 PM

I did have a green cheek at one time, and he was not cuddly. It really depends more on the individual bird than the species. I've known a few Sun Conures that were biters, by the way. You have to get to know the bird well, and then hope it likes you.

I have two horses, two dogs, a rabbit and 3 fish tanks too, so I'm kept pretty busy. I have far fewer animals than I did years ago though. At one time I had 28, I think. Six of them were horses, 10 were birds. So to me, this is really nothing. I no longer have that kind of energy though! Conures can be noisy, yes. Again, it depends on the personality of the bird too, not just the species.

I can hold my Dusky and Patagonian conure on their backs, and they give kisses, and I can even put their heads in my mouth! I only do it for about two seconds--its kind of a trick I taught them. Birds are amazingly intelligent, but so much work to clean up after.