Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Strange lump on mollie, possibly ich? need advice. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/strange-lump-mollie-possibly-ich-need-30066/)

Herky 10-04-2009 12:54 PM

Strange lump on mollie, possibly ich? need advice.

5 Attachment(s)
Was looking at my fish today, noticed he has this big red thing on his tail, and he is normally an all black fish but now has white spots all over him. He's been hiding out under the filter for a few days. Do I need to get him out and into a quarantine tank?

Twistersmom 10-04-2009 02:59 PM

If it is ick, you will want to treat the whole tank. I can't tell from the pictures if it is ick. Do the spots shine like a grain of salt?
I don't have a clue what the red spot could be.

Herky 10-04-2009 03:29 PM

No they don't shine...but they are about the same size as a grain of salt. there are two more of the red things forming on the opposite side of his tail. I haven't introduced any new fish. Just plants. The spots look puffy...but not shiny.

Herky 10-04-2009 05:23 PM

Well, I got some jungle labs ick clear since it was pretty much the only medication available locally. My filter is off and my tank is now blue. Anything else I should do?

Twistersmom 10-04-2009 07:35 PM

Hopefully someone will come along that is more helpful than me. I am not sure what you have going on. From the pictures, it does not really look like ick to me. The spots appear to big, to be ick.
How does the water test? What is your ph?
It might not hurt to add a little salt to the tank, that is if the other fish in the tank can handle it.

Herky 10-04-2009 07:39 PM

ph is 6.8. all the other parameters are fine. This is probably the best my water has ever tested actually.

Herky 10-04-2009 07:44 PM

Well, I medicated the 55 and removed the carbon from the filter. I moved the two mollies over to a ten gallon that I still have up, that has nothing else in it and medicated that tank as well. The mollies are a pair, and while the female doesn't appear ill, their close constant proximity would make me assume that she has whatever he has. I guess time will tell. If any of my angels or discus get sick...I really hope not. What's the probability that whatever this infection is, was introduced through the plant package that I bought?

Twistersmom 10-04-2009 07:51 PM

Your ph is a little on the low side for mollies, not sure if that could be part of the problem.
If the mollies are now alone in the 10 gal, you could try adding some marine salt to their water and check for improvements.

Herky 10-04-2009 08:16 PM

Just so happens that I have some...picked it up when I was planning out a tank for fiddler crabs. Will do.

mollies 10-04-2009 11:59 PM

Rais the temp up 2 degrees evrey day until you hit a 84 degrees. If its ich then it dont survive the warmer water, with the other treatment. The salt is not good for mollies. Yes as MOM said marin salt would help. But iv seen it hurt more then help. As mollies are brakish. That are breed to fresh so it wouldnt be good to get them to the brakish then back to fresh. IMO but just rais the temp and that will work with the treatment you use that turnd the tank blue.