Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Question about pregnant mollies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/question-about-pregnant-mollies-3006/)

Butterflyy 02-03-2007 07:58 AM

Question about pregnant mollies

Hi everyone! I have 2 mollies in my 90 gallon tank, a male and a female. We got them sometime in late November, and the female appeared to already be pregnant when we brought her home from the pet store.

I put her in a breeder overnight and woke up and found about 5 live fry, and about 8 of the stillborn/egg things on the bottom of the breeder. Over the next few days, more of the live fry died, and now I only have 1 left but he is doing great! I still have him in the breeder, he is kind of like my baby so I am protecting him until I think he is big enough he won't be harassed by the other fish in the tank or get sucked into the filter.

Now, the mommy molly looked pregnant again last week, but I wasn't sure so I didn't put her in the breeder. The next day when I went to feed my baby fry, I saw 6 new baby fry that were floating underneath the handles of the plastic breeder! I bought a net breeder after she gave birth the first time incase she got pregnant again, and quickly scooped the new fry into it.

The new fry are doing great, they are growing nicely and are swimming all around the net breeder. However, the mommy fish still looks like she could be pregnant. Is it possible for a fish to not give birth to all the fry at once? I went and got another breeder and have placed her in there as of this morning. I also thought that these fish were supposed to give birth to alot more than 6-8 fry at once?

Also, at what age would/will the new fry start to breed? I don't want the tank to get out of control with mollies.

Thank you in advance for any replies. I just want to make sure I am not stressing the mommy fish out by placing her in the breeder if she isn't pregnant :?

Lupin 02-03-2007 08:57 AM

Welcome aboard.:wave:

I'll give you a simple advice. Just let nature takes it course.:) Mollies are part of the family Poecillidae. Poeciliids are very prolific. A single mating should guarantee you several batches of fry for a few months. Take note that the female deposits the sperm after the mating and will become gravid several times for a few months.:)

As to what to do with gravid females, leave them alone.:) Breeder nets are not the best options. A tank full of plants is the best choice as the female drops her fry without any disturbance or interference by other tankmates. A 10 gallons should help you.:) Just introduce Elodea densa and Ceratophyllum demersum in that breeder tank. Both are fast growing plants.

Stillborn fry often results because the female has nowhere to hide in a breeder net causing her greater stress. Stress can even kill the fish and if not, make them susceptible to diseases.

An average molly can have 30-60 fry. Mollies up to 4 inches can give birth to 50 fry. I had them before and the most number I had is 50. I cannot accommodate all of them so I left the fry to cope with their tankmates.

Fry are sexable at 3 months age. Monitor them closely. Once sexes are distinguished, immediately separate the males from females. If you don't, you risk interbreeding the siblings which could result to poor quality fry or deformed ones. Deformed fry should be culled once sighted.

Hope that helps.:)
Blue

Butterflyy 02-06-2007 01:21 AM

Thank you for the reply! I also wanted to know if when the fry are born, are they always half black and half white until a certain age? The older fry I have that was born in December is just now starting to show color, he developed some orange along with the black, but the new fry are still white and black.

I got 3 more female mollies from the fish store, not sure if that is a good idea or a bad idea but the male was bothering the female non-stop, and he seems to have calmed down a great deal now that there are "more fish in the sea" lol.

Lupin 02-06-2007 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterflyy
Thank you for the reply! I also wanted to know if when the fry are born, are they always half black and half white until a certain age? The older fry I have that was born in December is just now starting to show color, he developed some orange along with the black, but the new fry are still white and black.

It depends on the genetics and strains of their parents-include their grandparents.:) In my opinion, some fry will developed colors later on but the reason behind this could be the parents of their parents may be of different strains.:)
Quote:

I got 3 more female mollies from the fish store, not sure if that is a good idea or a bad idea but the male was bothering the female non-stop, and he seems to have calmed down a great deal now that there are "more fish in the sea" lol.

It is always a good idea to have more females than males. A recommended sex ratio of one male to 2-3 females will stop him from concentrating to only one female which will likely stress her to death. I would also provide more plants to enable the females to hide and drop their fry quietly without too much disturbance caused by other tankmates.

lioness501 02-06-2007 04:05 AM

i have a balloon molly fry and she was born black and now is black and white, also my guppy fry were completely clear but r now getting their colour, so i would say that their colours become stronger as they age

Butterflyy 02-06-2007 04:08 AM

Thanks again for the information. I will be picking up some more plants this weekend for the tank, and I am also going to set up another tank this weekend too that I think I will move all the mollies into once it has cycled through.

I am actually really enjoying the little fry and seeing how the grow etc, this is the first time I have ever had a fish that had babies so it is pretty exciting for me and I am probably babying them more than I should be :lol:

lioness501 02-06-2007 04:11 AM

its great isnt it?!! they r so cute, but if i were u i wouldnt try to save all the fry, just let nature take its course

Butterflyy 02-07-2007 11:56 PM

I really love these little fry. They are SO adorable. I am waiting to let the biggest one I have go into the water, he was the only surviver of the first batch of fry, born on christmas eve. He is about the size of a tiny neon now, I am scared he will get sucked into the filter or harassed by the other fish in the tank so I am keeping him in the breeder a little longer. I always talk to my fish when I feed them, it may be a little crazy but I hope they know I love them
:)

musho3210 02-08-2007 12:01 AM

theres nothing wrong with talking with your fish, fish are alot smarter than what some people think :) and its not insane, i do it all the time.

Arash 02-08-2007 12:15 AM

Hi there

actually if i get the right piont you wan the momy breed all together?

1. you dont need to keep babies with no deference size in seperated place.
after tree days you can keep them in same place ( but not the new borned babies).

2.if you want the mommy breed at the same time you need to keep more than one pair. 3 male and 7 female is a good choice. if you want less 2 male and about 3 to 5 felame.

the babies will breed after tim you can determine wether they are male or female.
and if you want them grow much better you have to give them a very little boild yok ( red part of egg) az much as the woud finished it less than five minutes.
and any kind of artemia.

arash