Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Tank stocking!!!(5gallons) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/tank-stocking-5gallons-30051/)

6998 10-04-2009 09:13 AM

Tank stocking!!!(5gallons)

I is a 5 gallon tank with black gravel and some small plants 3". Fish i would like

2 albino corys
6 glo-fish

i need more fish or shrimp! that will stand out!

Twistersmom 10-04-2009 09:33 AM

I would pass on the cory. They do better in groups of 6 and a 5 gal would be to small.
The glo-fish should work. You could consider a betta instead. That size tank would make a nice home for a betta.

6998 10-04-2009 09:39 AM

are you sure two corys wouldn't be ok i had 3 in my 20 gallon and they never stayed next each other exept when they were feeding. Is there a type of live bearing fish that would stand out.

Twistersmom 10-04-2009 09:53 AM

Albino cory grow to large for a 5 gal. There are some pygmy cory, stay very small, that would work.
Only live bearing fish I can think of for that size tank, would be some guppy. Some are very beautiful.

6998 10-04-2009 09:58 AM

is a bronze cory a pygmy. or what is a pigmy and how many should i get and how many guppies could i get like 2 pairs or 1male 2females or just 1 pair

Rohland 10-04-2009 10:06 AM

No bronze cories are the same thing as albino. Just a different colour. Ill find the names of the the cories for you. However twister is right and you need a group of atleast 6 because they are shoaling fish. Also pygmy cories are very very sensitive to water parameters and would probably because it is very hard to keep stable conditions in a tank that small.

Also for guppies I think they outgrow will outgrow the tank. Ill wait for somebody that keeps livebearers first. However you would only want to get all males or all females because if they breed your aquarium will be over stocked. And being a guppy they will like crazy

Twistersmom 10-04-2009 10:06 AM

No, the bronze is not a pygmy cory. Here is a seller of the pygmy cory. I thing a group of 6 or 8 would be fine. Nano-Fish
I have not kept guppies, but with most fish, they recommend at least two females for every male.

Edit,
All good points made by Rohland. If you go with guppies, and want to have fry, you will have to have a plan for the fry. They will quickly over populate.
I have not kept pygmy cory either, they do better in a much lower ph than I can provide.

6998 10-04-2009 10:19 AM

ok i will get 2-3 males and i will not get any corys.how about 3 otto's

Twistersmom 10-04-2009 10:22 AM

Is this a well planted tank?
Ottos are sensitive fish as well. They live mostly on a diet of algae, not all will accept prepared foods. If the tank is well established and planted, three ottos will work.

6998 10-04-2009 03:41 PM

It's a denlsy decorated tank at the bottom. So if no ottos could i but
6 glo-fish
3 male guppys

what else would look good and is brightly colored?