Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Success! Julidochromis transcriptus LOTS of babies!

10K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Grimmjow 
#1 ·
I still thought my transcriptus were pretty young, I tried to buy them young and raise them together. But, after just a couple months, saw some tiny black specks flicking around my tank. Babies! Now there's tons of them in there, seems like more every couple days. Some of the big ones are getting relatively pretty big (finally big enough for pictures) but it seems like I keep noticing more smaller ones. I've got a little coconut house in there mom protects and keeps all the babies in, they're not allowed outside until they're older. Dad stays a little above mom and keeps the other fish well away from the babies. He doesn't allow any fish in the whole bottom of the tank. Good parents, keep the babies away from other fish... and the camera.

Current tank setup: 2 transcriptus (one male and one female :tease:) and 9, count 'em 9!, algae eaters: 3 flying foxes (for the stringy stuff) 3 otocynclids, 2 butterfly flat things (always get my butterflys mixed up) and 1 clown pleco. By they're combined efforts I only have to scrub all the algae out of the tank every couple minutes. Good healthy tank, 20 gal hexagon, heavily planted and lit, plants growing CRAZY I trim about 8 inches off the top every 2 weeks or so. Makes for plenty of cover for the little uns. Temp looks to be 74 degrees.

Enough talk, on with the PICS!
Tank:

Proud daddy:

And the mommy:

Hard to get a picture of someone who can hide behind a blade of grass, not to mention the protective dad:

Baby:

How many do you see?

See less See more
#5 ·
Would you want to sell a few of them?

#7 ·
wher you from. i would gladly explane how to send them. and send you some money for the delivery and fish.

#8 ·
well how are the fry doing?

#15 · (Edited)
Bringing this back. Remember how I said there's LOTS of babies? Well now there's LOTS and LOTS of babies!
Time to start making some moolah (or at least change.) I know there was some interest here before, so if any of you guys want them I thought I'd give you first dibs since you're my fish friends home.
I'm figuring $15/1, $25/2, $30/3 etc. Plus shipping and stuff, which I still need to learn how to do. But that's just my guess, if you've got a better idea let me know!

PS they like a planted tank with lots of caves (I use coconut caves - they love 'em). Mine is at 75 degrees and they seem to like it enough to breed like rabbits.

#16 ·
How many do you have now. lol
I was intrested in them, But i got some already. lol
It would be hard for you to ship to me unless You shiped them Fedex overnight witch would cost 40 to 50 Bucks. It realy depends how many you have and it might make it worth it to get them. Let me know.

#17 ·
Dang they're beautiful, congratulations!!!! In what water parameters do you house them? I had checked into them for my new 30g set up simply cause I think they look awesome but I hadn't seen them in any store here yet (TN) so now I can torture you with questions :)

#19 ·
My 2 cents on shipping them out: Let them grow some first baby fish don't ship well :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.