Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   plec really sick (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/plec-really-sick-3003/)

sazzy 02-03-2007 05:47 AM

plec really sick

On tuesday i found my L27 on the bottom of the tank getting knocked about by my golden plec? i knew straight away there was something wrong, so netted him out and put him downstairs in the 2foot tank.

on closer inspection he looked brain damaged, he is doing a strange kinda wobble and his eyes look strange
i have tried to feed him but he wont take any at all, but then yesterday i noticed that his stomach is really sunken and hollow. :cry:

my water is tested perfect as usual, he was eating fine last week, i just cant understand how he can go down hill so fast?
may it be a possibility that he could be brain damaged?? anyone heard of this?

Lupin 02-03-2007 06:02 AM

Hi Sazzy.

Sorry to hear about your plec.:blueworry: What are its other occupants in the tank?

sazzy 02-03-2007 06:19 AM

the one its in now?
a cory, 2 scissor tails, a rasbora, some bonis aris tetras, and one that looks like a silver shark (forgot name again)
they are all leaving him well alone

Lupin 02-03-2007 06:24 AM

Hmmm..Could it be temperature change? I hope not. What is the temp of the water you used from the faucet to water change and the temp of the tank water?:) Your plec may have gone to the area where the temp could have been cold from the water change while your tank water's temp is warm?

sazzy 02-03-2007 06:32 AM

i dont think its temp?
i only moved him cos the big boys i my tank would have maybe killed him?

fish_4_all 02-03-2007 03:24 PM

It sounds like he has been beat up pretty bad. Can you see any sores or wounds? If you can and even if you can't some Melafix may help with the injuries and possibly prevent any infections. As for feeding him, try some fresh zucchini or cucumber with the seeds removed. He might respond better to it than an algae wafer.

Best of luck and I hope it all works out. My BN would pout sometimes for days and not eat but he always pulled through. It happened a lot when the room temp would drop, I think he was just being a brat and pouting because of it.

Don;t put him back in there with the other pleco, I doubt they will leave him alone reguardless of how healthy he gets. Once they become territorial they can be quite the brutes. I put a second female in a tank and the two of them would have battled to the death if I wouldn't have removed the second one.

sazzy 02-07-2007 01:08 PM

all my plecs get along brilliantly, he was already sick thats why he was getting picked on :cry:

im thinking its internal parasites :( :(

sazzy 02-11-2007 04:29 AM

plec died last night :cry:

lioness501 02-11-2007 11:12 AM

sorry to hear that sazzy :(:(