Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   WARNING **Check your seams regularly** (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/warning-check-your-seams-regularly-299857/)

John0216 11-09-2013 01:00 PM

WARNING **Check your seams regularly**

Today, I learned the hard way of not checking my seams of the fish tank regularly. Remember, Everyone makes mistakes...Including factories. I woke up this morning and heard water loudly. I thought maybe it was hot last night and an inch or two of water evaporated. So I made breakfast and went to eat in the living room, discovering my living room was flooded by 55 gallons of water. It was bad, All of the power strips were shorting out and we live in an old house...With wood floors. So far the damage was not done to the floor because it was cleaned up before it soaked in.

So for the new fish keepers, remember that everyone makes mistakes and check your seams!

willow 11-09-2013 04:59 PM

oh my goodness how awful…what have you done with it now ?

rexpepper651 11-09-2013 05:29 PM

especially on used tanks!

John0216 11-09-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 3369089)
oh my goodness how awful…what have you done with it now ?

Well, thankfully, it was under warranty still so we traded it in for the new one. But the stand was made of corkboard and it ended up warping too bad so were working on finding one on craigslist.

willow 11-10-2013 07:05 AM

the very best of luck :-)

Romad 11-10-2013 07:14 AM

Ugh! That is every aquarist's nightmare :(

Sorry that you had to go through that and I'm glad that the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been. Did any fish survive?

Good luck with your search for a new stand.

John0216 11-10-2013 08:07 AM

Success!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 3372209)
Ugh! That is every aquarist's nightmare :(

Sorry that you had to go through that and I'm glad that the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been. Did any fish survive?

Good luck with your search for a new stand.

Thankfully, When I went downstairs and found it , there was still a remaining 4 inches of water at most. I scrambled for a bucket and saved every single one of them!
Unfortuantely, I had no where to put them so ive got 55 gallons worth of fish in 20 gallon. But then again, Its better than nothing. I'll be doing water changes to keep up with the nitrate levels.
The stand should be here later today!

Romad 11-10-2013 08:14 AM

That's great news!! :redyay: :blueyay:

John0216 11-28-2013 07:11 PM

Update!

Just thought I'd update everyone. Our stand didnt come until 2 weeks ago. So all fish are now happy and safe inside their 55 gallon again! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

willow 11-29-2013 05:01 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. :-D
glad things are going well .