Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   One of Zebra Danios swimming same place, back of tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/one-zebra-danios-swimming-same-place-29980/)

skyliner34 10-02-2009 07:05 PM

One of Zebra Danios swimming same place, back of tank

I got two Zebra Danios yesterday, two Females to be exact. I have noticed that one of them, is constantly swimming in the back of the tank. Generally in one spot, but some times swims around, but still in the back of the tank. Might I add, there are 4 other Zebra Danios in the tank. 2 female and 2 male. I don't know if I should be concerned about it, or if that is just normal.

NC Frank 10-02-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyliner34 (Post 251879)
I got two Zebra Danios yesterday, two Females to be exact. I have noticed that one of them, is constantly swimming in the back of the tank. Generally in one spot, but some times swims around, but still in the back of the tank. Might I add, there are 4 other Zebra Danios in the tank. 2 female and 2 male. I don't know if I should be concerned about it, or if that is just normal.

Some fish take longer to adjust to their environments than others. If the fish otherwise looks healthy I wouldn't worry about it for another day or two.

skyliner34 10-02-2009 07:44 PM

She was swimming around when I first got her. After a while, she started going back there by the filter. Then I introduced the other 3 danios today, and at first, she was swimming with them. Then she kind of went off on her own and the other 4 swim together. It's kind of like she's the odd ball and she swims by herself in the back of the tank. She looks healthy. Color is good and her eyes are nice and clear. I fed them today, and she kind of came out and ate, then went back to where she was.

Twistersmom 10-02-2009 08:04 PM

I think you did good by adding more. they do better in groups.
How does your water test for ammonia and nitrites?

skyliner34 10-02-2009 08:55 PM

I have it tested at Petco. Last time I checked, the ammonia and nitrites are good. So I don't know what's up with that fish. I went and got some Bine Shrimp for them and when I got back she was swimming with the other fish, then after a couple of mins, she went back to her same spot.

skyliner34 10-02-2009 10:09 PM

I've also noticed that when I turn off the light in the tank, she swims around. When I turn the light on, she goes back to that same spot. That's a bit strange.

Twistersmom 10-03-2009 08:40 AM

Sounds like she just needs some more time to get settled in. Fish can find comfort in lights out. When I get new fish, I leave the lights out the first day to help them feel more relaxed.

If this is a newly set up tank, I would go buy a water test kit. In new tanks ammonia and nitrite can spike up very quickly. I would test the water daily and be prepared for water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at safer levels.