Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   My try at a new 55 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-try-new-55-a-299761/)

AMediaMan 11-09-2013 10:03 AM

My try at a new 55

Im getting a used 55 gallon tank with a few fish already in it. It currently has gravel in it kinda like small stones. I would like to switch it over to sand. So my question is .... How much sand do I need to use ?
Is there a formula to it ? 55 gallon tank = so many pounds ?

I know I put this into the planted section, and the reason for is that I plan on putting live plants in as well.

rexpepper651 11-09-2013 11:11 AM

welp! i used one 50lb bag in my 55 of pool filter sand. you want like 1.5-3 inches to be safe. most slop the sand to the front. if you dont plan on having life plants this isnt nessesary. 50lbs was enough for me for 1.5-2 inches. i have live plants an i wish i would of went a lil deeper. so really thats more then you asked so ill simplify it for ya!

1 pound of sand for each gallon of water this is a really good starting point!

AMediaMan 11-09-2013 11:41 AM

ty for the quick reply. Ok so since you said you wished you had used more. I'm thinking about 60-70 lbs. I've read alot here and many say play sand works fine but its a pain to clean. Is there a sand that is easier to clean than others ?

rexpepper651 11-09-2013 12:20 PM

yeah the pool filter sand is easier to clean. still needs washing tho just not as bad. there also is the expensive sand that you can get from pet stores which needs little cleaning but for how much sand youll be using the price will be very high. so its up to you really if you want to wash alot and pay about 5-12 dollars a for 50lbs of sand or 15-20 dollars per 20lbs of sand for less work. i used pool filter sand in one tank and i paid 13 dollars and it was about an hour of work for washing. i also used play sand an paid 3 dollars for 50lbs and that took 3 hrs to clean. 60 -70lbs would work as long as you dont go over 4 inches in depth.

Agent13 11-09-2013 01:03 PM

Now you don't have to go that deep with sand when planting. My 55 is a sand tank with lots of nice plants and I decided to just do 1inch(maybe 1 1/2). I put the washed sand in till I was happy with the look then had sand leftover. You can always use plant anchors to get them to stay until they've rooted into the sand well. I'd say 1 inch is the minimum then up to 3 or whatever you think looks nice to suit you.

AMediaMan 11-09-2013 01:08 PM

ty much. I will shoot for a happy medium of 2 in.

Boredomb 11-09-2013 02:30 PM

2-3" is best if you have plants that are large and have massive root systems such as Amazon Swords or Jungle Vals. Other then that 1-2" is okay but maybe still hard to plant in.

willow 11-09-2013 05:54 PM

i used gravel at the back,and sand to the front.

AMediaMan 11-10-2013 01:02 AM

Yep I read about that around here somewhere haha. I think I am going all sand(never done sand) this time. Gonna do some plants as well(again never done) this time. She is supposed to drop the tank off tomorrow sometime. It comes with 2 Bala sharks about 4 inches both, a pleco which looked bigger than the Bala's. A couple of other fish. Gonna probably remove the large fish and go with smaller, I would rather have a big tank with several small fish than a big tank with only a couple. :) It comes with a HOB filter, though I think I want a canister(another never done) of some sort. Any Ideals would be great.

rsskylight04 11-10-2013 01:29 AM

If your sand is too deep it will become anaerobic at deep levels and breed bacteria that produce harmfull gas and bad odor