Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Will Ghost shrimp eat plants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/will-ghost-shrimp-eat-plants-29960/)

eileen 10-02-2009 11:58 AM

Will Ghost shrimp eat plants?

I bought 8 ghost shrimp at a local fish store and got 9. It seems since I got them that my Java ferns all are chewed up and full of holes. I was just wondering if the Ghost shrimps might have eatten the java ferns. I do have some pest snails that I have been picking out each day. I think they are pond snails and ramshorn snails. I was told to get the Ghost shrimps to eat the tiny snails that pop up. I reallly think that the Ghosts have attacked the ferns as I did not have that problem before. My 2 bushy nosed plecos do not touch my plants as I have had them for along time. I will be getting Assassin snails to control the pest snail problems soon. The snails are not a big problem yet as I have been picking them out each day they were brought in by plants I bought at a fish auction. I feed my fish twice a day so it is not a lack of food for them. These shrimp are big also a little over 1" big.

joepythons 10-02-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 251737)
I bought 8 ghost shrimp at a local fish store and got 9. It seems since I got them that my Java ferns all are chewed up and full of holes. I was just wondering if the Ghost shrimps might have eatten the java ferns. I do have some pest snails that I have been picking out each day. I think they are pond snails and ramshorn snails. I was told to get the Ghost shrimps to eat the tiny snails that pop up. I reallly think that the Ghosts have attacked the ferns as I did not have that problem before. My 2 bushy nosed plecos do not touch my plants as I have had them for along time. I will be getting Assassin snails to control the pest snail problems soon. The snails are not a big problem yet as I have been picking them out each day they were brought in by plants I bought at a fish auction. I feed my fish twice a day so it is not a lack of food for them. These shrimp are big also a little over 1" big.

I think the shrimps only eat the algea off the plants.If you want something to control those pesky snails do like i did.I bought a betta and my snail issue has shrunk ;-).They are also cool to watch!

Fishin Pole 10-02-2009 01:31 PM

i wouldnt put a betta in with your shrimp, your shrimp MIGHT be viewed as food.........

joepythons 10-02-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 251770)
i wouldnt put a betta in with your shrimp, your shrimp MIGHT be viewed as food.........

Ooops my fault :oops: