Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   My blue crayfish died randomly...why?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/my-blue-crayfish-died-randomly-why-29946/)

brettxw 10-01-2009 11:35 PM

My blue crayfish died randomly...why??

He was fine last night. He was walking around earlier today, I just walked past the tank and saw him where he usually sleeps during the day and he was on his side...I thought he 'malted' possibly and that was his old shell but I can't find him anywhere else in the tank. What would have caused this random death??? pH was normal, the water temp is 76-78F. I have two medium sized bala's that has never bothered him ever. Glass catfish that can not hurt him. Two tetra's, 2 chinese suckers..One of them is kind of aggressive but has never been towards the 'lobster' and a pleco who lived with the 'lobster' inside the log. The only thing I can think of is that the pleco came into the log and woke the lobster and he had like a heartattack or something. I ccan't figure it out but its making me mad because I liked him!! :(

Edit - Not chinese sucker fish, they are Chinese Algae eaters. One is aggresive and the other I never see. It blends in with the fake plant and sits there all the time.

brettxw 10-02-2009 12:16 AM

Question about molting...When they molt, I read that they lay on their backs until they break free of their "shell". Well if they are molting, they would still move around if provoked or touched? I ask because since he was on his side is it possible he was molting? But when I picked him up with the net, he did not move or show any sign of life, when he was out of the tank he did not move. If he was molting, I'm sure he would have moved or shown some sign of life?

1077 10-02-2009 08:45 AM

Crayfish will eat just bout everything but they are largely eaters of plant material (ie) algae,and decaying plant matter from live plants. they will on occasion nibble algae wafers but perhaps some dried algae ,such as that found at some fish stores that you can hang from veggie clip ,along with romain lettuce,and or spirulina pellets will keep them healthier than the crumbs of fish food they may scavenge from the bottom. If the chinese algae eaters were larger than the crayfish,they could have simply harrassed the poor thing to death.

Fishin Pole 10-02-2009 09:06 AM

one other consideration is the temp of your tank........your right at the limit of ideal temp for most crayfish........higher temps speed up their metabolism, he could have just not been able to take it.........I keep my crays in an unheated tank and the temp is right around 72F........When they do molt, they are very susceptable to attacks from fish and other crays, and sometimes they can get stuck and not able to release themselves from their old exoskeleton......Its sucks, but it can happen.........

brettxw 10-03-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 251674)
one other consideration is the temp of your tank........your right at the limit of ideal temp for most crayfish........higher temps speed up their metabolism, he could have just not been able to take it.........I keep my crays in an unheated tank and the temp is right around 72F........When they do molt, they are very susceptable to attacks from fish and other crays, and sometimes they can get stuck and not able to release themselves from their old exoskeleton......Its sucks, but it can happen.........

Noooo! Seriously?? So theres a good chance I killed him? :( I thought 76-78f was ok. Damnit! That just ruined my mood :( he was my favorite!

paytheplayer 11-01-2009 05:28 PM

I read somewhere that Blue Lobsters can become accustomed to any most temps of water, whether it be warm or cold. Maybe I'm wrong. I've always wanted one, but I heard they'll hunt and eat the fish.
I had a regular crayfish before, and that's exactly what he did. Uprooted plants, attacked fish etc. He even picked my snail up over his head, and tossed him across the tank lol.
I ended up putting him in a tank with my feeder fish. If I bought a dozen, I'd be lucky if he didn't kill atleast half of them.

brettxw 11-02-2009 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paytheplayer (Post 267249)
I read somewhere that Blue Lobsters can become accustomed to any most temps of water, whether it be warm or cold. Maybe I'm wrong. I've always wanted one, but I heard they'll hunt and eat the fish.
I had a regular crayfish before, and that's exactly what he did. Uprooted plants, attacked fish etc. He even picked my snail up over his head, and tossed him across the tank lol.
I ended up putting him in a tank with my feeder fish. If I bought a dozen, I'd be lucky if he didn't kill atleast half of them.

Eh. They will only attack smaller fish if they bother him or he is hungry. I kept him well fed. Few pellets whenever i saw him out while the light was on. That's when I knew he was hungry. The other fish he was real friendly with. Lived inside a fake log with the pleco.

Sadly, I can admit..I miss him.

molliefan09 11-02-2009 07:19 AM

are you sure there is nothing wrong with the tank????? wheather it be the heater causing power surges throught the water, water params i dont know...it just seems odd that this guy passed and then your algea eaters.....if you cant get a liquid test kit take some of your water down to the lfs, they should be able to use the liquid kit and give you the params....most do it at no cost

brettxw 11-14-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliefan09 (Post 267504)
are you sure there is nothing wrong with the tank????? wheather it be the heater causing power surges throught the water, water params i dont know...it just seems odd that this guy passed and then your algea eaters.....if you cant get a liquid test kit take some of your water down to the lfs, they should be able to use the liquid kit and give you the params....most do it at no cost

Woah, are you serious?? That could happen??? I swear to god that is what it is then!!! Recently my water heater has been acting weird. Condensation inside the tube and it would be on A LOT more then usual. When it did turn on, it would make a loud snap noise. UGH. I am actually going tomorrow to get a new water heater and filters.

I do my own water tests with the chemicals. They are normal.