Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/)
-   -   HELP!!! My clam is going crazy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/help-my-clam-going-crazy-2993/)

dave12678 02-02-2007 10:03 PM

HELP!!! My clam is going crazy

I noticed that he moved a little which I didn't think was a big deal. I get home tonight and the little guy moved the rock, it fell into the side of my tank. I was able to move the rock off the glass and out of the way but now hes just hanging there on his side. He keeps opening and closeing every few minutes. Could this be him getting into a better position? I need some help on what to do thanks guys

usmc121581 02-02-2007 10:05 PM

I think your right. What hes tring to do is move. Clams have a foot that holds them down to a rock. When they dont like it no more they will try and move. But it is not going crazy.

dave12678 02-02-2007 10:21 PM

yeah I guess he is moving but to where lol the tank is full of rock and not much room to move around. I did move the rock so he could reposition, I hope that helps him.

dave12678 02-04-2007 08:59 AM

Bump The clam moved from his spot to the sand. He left I guess his foot behind, is that normal? He looks to be doing ok but the foot is now being eaten by the fish and looks like a bunch of white strings. gonna google this one lol.

usmc121581 02-04-2007 10:24 AM

To me it sounds like hes falling apart. Clams will look alright right until they start to take the spiral down. once that hapens theres nothing that can be done. My crocea clam is alays moving but he has never left anything behind.

caferacermike 02-04-2007 10:36 AM

It's a goner. I didn't want to tell you that in your first postbut I knew it wasn't going to make it. The byssal gland is now separated from the clam, bad sign. Also check for it's filters, gills, floating around somewhere. I'm wondering if it was being pestered and eaten alive by pyramid snails. Something definitely bothered the clam into submission.

dave12678 02-04-2007 04:09 PM

damn I just checked everything and the water is ok so I have no idea what made him move. I am having some back luck with this tank I lost 1 of the anemones and the other is looking pretty bad. The one in the rock looks great though. Any reason why those are doing well?

Rogergolf66 02-04-2007 08:52 PM

I wish I could help I lost 7 Claim so far. I love them so I keep trying. I just lost another one this week that I have had for about 3 months. I thought this one was going to make it, but it did exacticly the same thing yours did. the next day he was eaten.

Good luck

I hope you have better luck them me

Roger

caferacermike 02-05-2007 05:15 PM

I think I'd stop killing innocent animals after the second attempt.

Rogergolf66 02-05-2007 06:50 PM

Thanks for the help mike!!