Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Fish filter frustration (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/fish-filter-frustration-299217/)

JonandJo 11-08-2013 09:21 AM

Fish filter frustration

Hi now your here, I wonder if you'd take the time to help me make an informed choice.

I have a 60ltr aquarium, I intend to have it with plenty of plants as the fish I'm keeping are tetra, otocinclus and possibly a few more, nothing to big.

When I bought this tank it was being used as a marine tank and it had a fluval u4 filter, which by all accounts will be to powerful. Even if I did decide to use it the replacement filters and bio material work out 10 cheaper than a smaller filter.

Fluval u series seems like a good filter with its biological, mechanical and physical filtering.

Can people comment on the pros and cons of fluval filter and suggest other possible filter types with there pros and cons please.

avraptorhal 11-08-2013 01:38 PM

[quote=JonandJo;3360705
Can people comment on the pros and cons of fluval filter and suggest other possible filter types with there pros and cons please.[/quote]

I have no experience with the filters you have.

However, I had a Aqua clear made by Hagen the MFR of the fluval filter line. The AC is a good filter, you can customize the filter media to your needs. It has a minor drawback in that the last intake tube is difficult to clean and is noisy during restart after cleaning until the impeller chamber gets filled. To eliminate the short noisy time you can simply prime the filter. I didn't have the filter long enough to determine its longevity.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Romad 11-08-2013 01:55 PM

I'm a fan of the AquaClear filters as well because the media sponges and bio-media bags sit right in the basket and are easily removed.

I ran one for years and it was virtually silent. Repriming was not a problem for me and as long as you refill the filter before you turn it back on, it shouldn't be an issue.

An AC-20 would probably do well on your tank as it's a little over 15 gallons. And the fact that you'll have plants is a great bonus.

The only other filters I use/love Rena canisters on my 75 gallon.

rsskylight04 11-09-2013 04:02 AM

I'm a big fan of aquaclear hob for 75 gal and under tanks

rsskylight04 11-09-2013 04:03 AM

Aquaclear 300 will be a great choice

JonandJo 11-10-2013 08:12 PM

Aquaclear are hook on back of tank type filter, it looks like the u-series filters have same media options I think but is an internal filter.

avraptorhal 11-11-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonandJo (Post 3376537)
Aquaclear are hook on back of tank type filter, it looks like the u-series filters have same media options I think but is an internal filter.

Not quite! the U series filters have a filter cartridge (I don't know what the cartridge contains). However, any cartridge limits your options for customizing the media in your tank. The AC HOB series have a basket that contains your choices of media for your situation.

Most cartridges contain carbon in some form which is not needed in most situations. Primarily used in removing medications you have used to heal an infection of some type. The carbon usually saturates in a few weeks and then will begin to leach the removed contaminant back in to the tank.

Most people simply use a good foam block for mechanical filtration in the bottom of the HOB basket and some sort of bio filtration on top of that. You could also use a bio filtering block or blocks of foam as the only filtration media in the HOB.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask any questions that come up about this subject or any other one. That's what a forum is about.

Robbin48 11-12-2013 12:12 AM

I have a Fluval U3 that is great. It does have baskets so you can customize your media to whatever you like. I use a combination of sponge and floss. In the center is a basket for bio balls. Other than it takes up room in your tank, it is a great filter, also has a setting for planted tanks so less movement.

rsskylight04 11-12-2013 12:17 AM

aquaclear

Yes aquaclear 300 ( now aquaclear70) has a box that can be packed with custom filter media. Cut-to-size sheets of filter material are availible at petco . If you like carbon you may lyer it between sheets... or pre made bags from fluval fit the box.

JonandJo 11-12-2013 12:34 AM

Guys I think my mind is made up. Everyone is talking about Hagen filters. The two contenders are the aquaclear and the fluval u-series. Both filters have the option to customise the filter types. But the u-series gives 3 options to flow type.

With that in mind it will have to be a u-series filter.