Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Assassin Snail babies!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/assassin-snail-babies-29909/)

aquariangel 10-01-2009 10:41 AM

Assassin Snail babies!!

Yes! Yes! Knew they laid eggs and was patiently waiting for hatchlings. I posted a thread in another area about this but I'm SO excited I'm posting here too! We were doing some moving around and cleaning of the guppy tanks last night (pulled about 15 more red fry from birthing tank) and FP noticed some assassin snail babies and asked me to look too. Yeah buddy! There were about 6 visible sticking part way out of the substrate and/or climing on the pebbles. This is so great!!

Sadly, one of the mystery/brig snails has passed. :-( And I don't think the clutch of eggs in the red sword birthing tank is fertilized, they should have hatched by now...maybe I'll talk to him about ordering a few more, increase the chances of fertilization and a hatch.

eileen 10-01-2009 11:35 AM

I hope you know that assassin snails will eat any kind of snail. Once their are no more snails they might attack your Mystery snail. They also eat dwarf shrimps so do not keep them in your tank. The females are bigger in size then the male also. If you do not want alot of assassin to overrun your tank you can pick out the females and only have males or just one sex so they do not reproduce. I'm thinking of getting 1 assassin snail from a friend to take care of my ramshorn and pondsnail problem in my 55 gal.They are a really pretty interesting snail but sometimes you trade one problem for another. It's best to keep the Assassin numbers down in your tank . Sooner or later you will see dozens of egg sacks stuck to your plants from the assassin.

Fishin Pole 10-01-2009 12:53 PM

Ne need to worry Eileen, the assassins are not in with the Briggs snails......seperate tanks......Assassins are not prolific breeders like most of your other snails are...........As far as eating dwarf shrimp, i think your wrong there, i researched these snails rather extensively and read nowhere that they will eat dwarf shrimp......I was specifically worried about that, because they were placed in an all shrimp tank (in fact, 2 all shrimp tanks).......I watch my tanks rather often and have never seen any of the assassin snails even paying the shrimp any attention, in fact the shrimp climb all over the snails all the time......The shrimp tanks are only 10 gallon tanks and are heavily populated with shrimp, over a 100 in the one, easily..........For your 55, if you want the assassin's to have any impact on your pest snail population, i suggest you buy at least 5, if not a few more..........If they do become to many in numbers, which i find thats hard to believe, you can always trade them to a LFS or try to sell them locally or on Aquabid, they do bring a decent price.......

Calmwaters 10-01-2009 01:51 PM

Congrats on your babys.

redlessi 10-01-2009 06:45 PM

Congrats on your babies!!

biokid101 10-01-2009 06:49 PM

CONGRATS i dont really know what they are but nice!!

aquariangel 10-02-2009 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by biokid101 (Post 251393)
CONGRATS i dont really know what they are but nice!!

Thanks, here's a picture of one of the adults....

aquariangel 10-02-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 251118)
I hope you know that assassin snails will eat any kind of snail. Once their are no more snails they might attack your Mystery snail. They also eat dwarf shrimps so do not keep them in your tank. The females are bigger in size then the male also. If you do not want alot of assassin to overrun your tank you can pick out the females and only have males or just one sex so they do not reproduce. I'm thinking of getting 1 assassin snail from a friend to take care of my ramshorn and pondsnail problem in my 55 gal.They are a really pretty interesting snail but sometimes you trade one problem for another. It's best to keep the Assassin numbers down in your tank . Sooner or later you will see dozens of egg sacks stuck to your plants from the assassin.

Hi....uh, yeah, what Fishin Pole said.......