Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Beta, tetras, and problems (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/beta-tetras-problems-29898/)

Russell Crowe 09-30-2009 11:51 PM

Beta, tetras, and problems

My female beta was lonely in her 10 gallon tank by herself. So I got her a few neon tetras. The beta was more energetic in her cup. None of my fish are eating. The beta attempted to eat some of the tetras flakes but spit it out. The tetras and beta don't even know the other exist. Everyone keeps telling me just to give them time to adjust. Hopefully it gets better over time. Its only been a couple days so we will see how it goes. Any advice on how to get my fish to eat that would be great. Thanks

Lupin 10-01-2009 05:54 AM

Are flakes all you feed your fish? Flakes is not enough. I'd vary the diet adding pellets and frozen stuff such as bloodworms, brine shrimps and daphnia on their menu. You could add garlic on the food if you are concerned at their lack of appetite. Kent has liquid garlic available in pet stores.

Russell Crowe 10-01-2009 07:01 AM

I do not only feed my fish flakes. I was feeding my beta bloodworms regularly until I learned this was bad. I got pellets the other day when I moved my beta into the 10 gallon tank and she has not ate a pellet so far. And BTW just recently my smallest tetra got caught in the filter when I wasn't looking. I shut off the filter immediately and I thought he was dead. I was just about to scoop him out of there until I saw some life left in him. All of a sudden, my female beta began to feast on the tetra. I didn't know betas would eat tetras. Well anyways I got flakes at the bottom of my tank, pellets floating at the top and none of my fish look happy. Suggestions?

aunt kymmie 10-01-2009 07:17 AM

Hikari Betta Bio Gold Betta Fish Food. This is the staple of my bettas diets and they love them. I supplement with blood worms, daphnia and mysis shrimp. I feed my tetras flakes as a staple but they also get daphnia & mysis. You might want to try the Bio Gold Betta pellets as IMHO it's the best betta food out there. How long has this tank been set up??

Russell Crowe 10-01-2009 07:38 AM

I set up my tank 3 days ago. I put the beta in after about 24 hours and then the tetras I acclimated last night. The tetras are starting to eat the flakes on the bottom. The beta keeps eating the flakes and spiting them out and she does this with the pellets as well. I feel like my beta just won't eat pellets whatsoever. Where is the best place online to pick up some bio gold?

aunt kymmie 10-01-2009 07:47 AM

www.thatfishplace.com

www.drsfostersmith.com

What brand of pellets are you currently using? Alot of them are just too big for a betta's mouth. The Bio Gold are a nice tiny vitamin packed size.

PS. I have to ask...is Russell Crowe your real name or are you just a fan of the actor? If you're the real deal I need to discuss your next movie role (Robin Hood) with you! :lol:

Russell Crowe 10-01-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 251024)
www.thatfishplace.com

www.drsfostersmith.com

What brand of pellets are you currently using? Alot of them are just too big for a betta's mouth. The Bio Gold are a nice tiny vitamin packed size.

PS. I have to ask...is Russell Crowe your real name or are you just a fan of the actor? If you're the real deal I need to discuss your next movie role (Robin Hood) with you! :lol:

Thanks for the advice. HBH Betta Bites is the brand. Yeah I think your right the pellets are kind of big. And no I am not Russell Crowe, just a fan. Anyways I haven't put any activated carbon in my filter yet because I didn't know how much and how often. Should I get on that asap?

Russell Crowe 10-01-2009 12:00 PM

I just ordered some bio gold so hopefully that will help my bettas appetite. Is there any reason why I can't add another female betta to the mix or could they gang up on my tetras?

aunt kymmie 10-01-2009 12:06 PM

Adding another female betta will harm your existing betta more than it would your tetras. Have a look see here:

http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish-...orities-29402/

I used carbon only once in my filter and that was in order to absorb/pull the remaining residual of medication after I was done treating my tank for ich. I don't use carbon on the advice of the members here and to be honest I can't remember what the reasons were. I'll have to go look up the reasons as to why most believe it's not necessary.

Russell Crowe 10-01-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 251138)
Adding another female betta will harm your existing betta more than it would your tetras. Have a look see here:

http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish-...orities-29402/

I used carbon only once in my filter and that was in order to absorb/pull the remaining residual of medication after I was done treating my tank for ich. I don't use carbon on the advice of the members here and to be honest I can't remember what the reasons were. I'll have to go look up the reasons as to why most believe it's not necessary.

Wow, thanks a lot. I'm glad I didn't make that mistake. Also thanks for clarifying that adding carbon to the filter is not necessary. I'm thinking about getting a couple more tetras to make them feel a little more comfortable. Thanks again