Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10 gal. stock question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10-gal-stock-question-29897/)

Noahma 09-30-2009 11:09 PM

10 gal. stock question

Well while my tank is working on cycling, I am going to decide on which fish to stock our lowly little 10 gal. with. So many fish, so little space, but plenty of time lol.

It has been a while since I had my last tank (about 10 years) so I am basically starting new. This will be in a planted tank (a whole new adventure for me), which should be fun.

here is what I was thinking of so far. By doing some research the two species I have thought of, seem to work pretty well together. If I am wrong, please let me know, I do not want to hurt my little friends.

6-Neon Tetras (2 males, 4 females)
2-Kribensis (pulcher) (1 male, and 1 female)
and I was thinking of one bottom dweller, although it seems that most of the very small ones like to be in groups. Any ideas or changes I should make?

The plants should be here this week, and from the water params, it might be a week or so left in the cycle before i can think about adding the fish.

fighttest 10-01-2009 09:32 PM

6 neon tetras is good for a 10 gallon tank but kribensis should be kept in a 20 gallon or larger. some other suggestions would be some zebra danios, 1 dwarf gourami mixed with some other suitable fish(notice i say one), or some guppy's. im about to start a 10g planted dwarf puffer fish tank, you could try them im not sure how hard they are to care for but i figure im capable since iv been in the aquarium hobby for a while, they require a species only set up though. to be successful with a planted aquarium your going to need the right kind of lights and substrate in the aquarium. the substrate particles should be within a width of 1-5 mm. quikrite play sand is a very cheap option (just remember to wash it). you will need between 1 to 3 watts per gallon for plants to grow in your aquarium, i would suggest a 15 watt t8 life glo bulb.

Noahma 10-01-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fighttest (Post 251484)
6 neon tetras is good for a 10 gallon tank but kribensis should be kept in a 20 gallon or larger. some other suggestions would be some zebra danios, 1 dwarf gourami mixed with some other suitable fish(notice i say one), or some guppy's. im about to start a 10g planted dwarf puffer fish tank, you could try them im not sure how hard they are to care for but i figure im capable since iv been in the aquarium hobby for a while, they require a species only set up though. to be successful with a planted aquarium your going to need the right kind of lights and substrate in the aquarium. the substrate particles should be within a width of 1-5 mm. quikrite play sand is a very cheap option (just remember to wash it). you will need between 1 to 3 watts per gallon for plants to grow in your aquarium, i would suggest a 15 watt t8 life glo bulb.

thank you for the response,

I actually just did the conversion off my information site (which was in liters and it was late when I saw them), and realized that a 20 gal is min for them. Which is too bad, they are beautiful fish. Now I just need to talk my wife into a larger tank lol.

I think I might go with my original idea of the 6 Neon Tetras, and a few others. I did think about puffer fish, but it seems that they transition from fresh water to brackish water as they age. And I would really like to keep at least a couple different species.

Guppyluver4ever 10-02-2009 04:17 PM

Well if your wife doesnt let you get a bigger tank, you could get 2 scarlet gem badis , they are very much like Kribensis but they only grow an inch and im pretty sure they would be ok in a 10 gallon tank

Noahma 10-03-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppyluver4ever (Post 251842)
Well if your wife doesnt let you get a bigger tank, you could get 2 scarlet gem badis , they are very much like Kribensis but they only grow an inch and im pretty sure they would be ok in a 10 gallon tank

I will have to keep that one in mind, it is a cute fish and I think my wife will like them.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I just planted the tank, so I am going to give it a couple weeks of growth before thinking about stocking the tank.