Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Java Moss Looking BAD! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/java-moss-looking-bad-298897/)

bmnst4 11-07-2013 02:21 PM

Java Moss Looking BAD!

Howdy y'all!

I have a nice 5-6 gallon ADA tank where everything is growing quite well except my Java Moss. It has turned brown and has mostly died. I donít know what I am doing wrong except possibly not enough water flow? I have cut it way back in hopes it might rebound.

Here are my aquarium specs,

Light: ADA twin 27W (10 hours/day)
CO2: Pressurized (1 bubble/sec)
Ferts: 1 pump of ADA Brighty K, two drops of Flourish Excell (all ferts added daily) I have also added a couple iron tablets to the Amazonia substrate
Water: 30% water changes weekly. PH is slightly high (7.7 but I have been adding some acid buffer to lower it) but KH and GH are all where they are supposed to be.
Plants: Needle Java Fern, Java Fern Fern, Trident Java Fern, Bobitis Heudelotii, Glosso, Cryptocoryne, Hair Grass, and Blyxa Japonica (large grass)

HELP!

ao 11-07-2013 02:57 PM

Hey :D
Can i get a temperature reading for your water as well as the positioning of the moss? A snap of it will also help :)

Sent from Petguide.com App

bmnst4 11-07-2013 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure of the water temp. I think its a little low as I do not have a heater going.

ao 11-07-2013 03:44 PM

Gorgeous tank! are you able to zoom in on just the affected java moss? is the moss tied down to something?

edit: oh i see it now, it's tied to the driftwood isnt it :) is there any green left?

where did you get the moss from?

I have a hunch it mighhhhht be the excel. Since you already have CO2 can you try cutting out the excel from your regime? it does ave a tendency to melt certain plants...

i also do recommend leaving the PH alone >.< working against your water can be quite tiring. And your PH looks just fine to me :)

bmnst4 11-07-2013 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! This tank is acting as a green house, growing the slow stuff for my eventual larger tank.8-) Let me know if this photo is better. And yes the moss is/was tied with riccia line to the driftwood.

ao 11-07-2013 03:49 PM

^added more comments in my last post. The riccia died too? I think I see a brown bit :( Definitely try cutting down on the excel. Riccia for one isn't very fond of the stuff >.<

bmnst4 11-07-2013 03:51 PM

I never had any riccia, just the line to tie the moss. As for where I got the moss, its from the same place I have been purchasing my plants for years. I have done some additional research and a couple sources say that sometimes moss just dies, almost for no reason. I really do not see any green on the moss, just brown :(

ao 11-07-2013 04:10 PM

I've had all kinds of moss for a long time and they practically thrive on neglect :) I reallly do recommend on cutting down excel if you have CO2. The stuff isn't too great for your fish anyway, it is possible for it to have long term health effects on fish, it also kills off snails slowly... :(

bmnst4 11-07-2013 04:27 PM

I didn't know about the snails! I'll stop right away.

ao 11-07-2013 04:34 PM

I didn't know either... until all my ramshorns and pond snails mysteriously dissappeared. My nerite was the first to go. The Malaysian trumpet snail population kept going strong though, probably because they burrow the substrate and are less affect by whatever is going on in the water column.

Excel is pretty much glutaraldehyde... which is used in hospitals for cleaning, sterilizing and as an embalming fluid. I don't try and stop people from using it since it does help certain plants grow in a low tech tank, but I recommend not using it if you don't have to :(

Keep us updated on your tank! I want more pretty pictures of shiny ADA tank! XD