Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Nova Extreme SLR T5HO (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/nova-extreme-slr-t5ho-29789/)

racingtiger03 09-28-2009 11:09 PM

Nova Extreme SLR T5HO

I am looking at getting this as an upgrade for my aquarium.. currently only using a Glo T5HO with dual bulbs.
Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures
Specifically those are what I want.
I can't decide between doing the 4 bulb 24" and working something up to make it fit my tank (29 gallon - 30"), or ordering two of the 2 bulb setups in the 30". (both use the same bulbs anyway and its cheaper ordering the two units!)
Does anyone know how/if that would work, or should I call and see if they can get the 30" in the 4 bulb setup?
Thanks in advance!

Pasfur 10-03-2009 07:12 PM

Sorry you have not gotten a response on this yet. I have no experience with this specific equipment. I will send out some feelers for you.

onefish2fish 10-04-2009 02:22 PM

are you planning on having a canopy on the top of your tank? if you are and your building your own going with retrofit lighting IMO is the way to go if your handy with DIY. another very big and important thing to consider is your plans for this tank down the road. you may not think so now but is a larger tank in store down the road? i know i personally put a larger set of lights on my last tank just because i knew i was soon getting something larger.

Kellsindell 10-04-2009 09:09 PM

That's an ok fixture, but not badly priced. For your size tank I'd go with the 4 bulb set up because the lighting might be a bit more concentrated, but over all i don't think it would make too much of a difference. They both come with reflectors. I like retro kits and they are cheaper, but, again, this is not a bad price at all. What are you trying to keep in the tank coral wise? LPS softies, SPS or all types? Depending on your demands you may not need so much wattage.

racingtiger03 10-04-2009 11:09 PM

I want enough lighting to be able to keep any type of coral, eventually some SPS and an anemone.

I do plan to upgrade the tank eventually, but that's a long ways down the road. This 29 gallon will be around for a long time, and likely an upgrade will just be a second tank :)

As for a canopy, it currently does not have one. Are there any good DIY setups with vent fans? I have thought of building one.. but woodwork isn't on my list of handyman skills yet. Electric I can handle though.. =/

Cost-wise right now for my plans this seems like the way to go.

Kellsindell 10-06-2009 11:23 PM

Then i would go with as much as you can. Probably should be fine with with a 4bulb set up, but i'd recommend 5bulbs or more... if it'll fit. Or you can get one MH bulb of 175 or something like that and then one actinic bulb. There are plenty of DIY (since you are electrically inclined) you can do. That'll be more then enough lighting for your tank if you did that with a t5 actinic.

racingtiger03 10-07-2009 10:17 PM

any links on where to get parts for a 175-250 watt metal halide? I can use my current T5HO Glo housing for actinics.. But I wasn't really able to find anywhere to peice together a metal halide setup, at least not for a reasonable price. (That being less than the 4 bulb setup I listed above was going to cost)