Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   can someone help me? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/can-someone-help-me-29765/)

biokid101 09-28-2009 05:41 PM

can someone help me?

hi biokid here. im only 14 so i dont know much but how do u know when swordtails are breeding? i know u heard that alot but i cant find it anywhere. and if anyone can post a pic of a pregnant swordtail that would be helpful thank you

aunt kymmie 09-28-2009 10:04 PM

If you are keeping males and females together rest assured that they are breeding. Let me go try to hunt down a good pregnant pic of a female...

aunt kymmie 09-28-2009 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not the best pic, it ws the quickest one I could pull off the web. I've seen much better ones posted by our members here.

biokid101 09-29-2009 05:30 AM

wow the stomach is exactly how my neon fish is today she is huge!!! she has red poop hanging from her does that mean something? its never happened before and i wonder if she gave birth because of her coming here from the pet store. Maybe she didnt have all of them cause it seems like she has around 40 in her tummy.

biokid101 10-05-2009 05:10 PM

heres another question: why isnt my female swordtail showing that big belly that is shown above? ive had her for 4 weeks now and she is not giving birth what is wrong? but she has gotten fatter slightly.

Rohland 10-05-2009 05:32 PM

What is a neon? As in neon tetra? Because I am not sure but if poo is red couldnt it be a parasite? Which would make her stomach bloated not pregnant... Someone correct me because I am just guessing here.

On to what I do know! When you take your female home sometimes they are stressed, so it could take another month maybe. Also you should have a ratio of 1 male to 2 or 3 females and lots of plants and hiding places for the fry and the mother. The mother will need a place to hide so she doesn't get stressed by the other fish in the aquarium. You could seperate the mother however you should do this earlier so she doesnt get stressed during her birthing process and abort her pregnancy. The fry will need places to hide so they dont become a snack... Also once the female has given birth I read that they give off a hormone that sends the males after them to make more babies. So they will become more stressed out and could eventually die.

Oldman47 10-05-2009 09:18 PM

One of the color variations of domestic swordtail is called a neon, Rohland.
The heavier belly on a female swordtail is sometimes all that you will see. Swordtails don't often get as heavy looking as platies or mollies do so it can be a bit harder to tell when they are close to dropping fry.

biokid101 10-06-2009 05:59 AM

the only way u can tell the date of the fry being born is if u know the date she last gave birth my swordtail(neon) gave birth 13 days ago. sadly none survived, or maybe some hiding under gravel. but these days my orange swordtail got fatter a bit. i dont know if shes pregnant or not.

biokid101 11-27-2009 10:34 AM

SHES PREGNANT AGAIN!!!i saw eyes today!!!