Problem with NitrItes =(
Today I was planning on buying some new fish to fully stock up my 20G aquarium. It has been set up for about a month now, and everyone is happy. I decided to test the water to make sure that everything was fine before heading out to the fish store, but it turns out my NitrItes are VERY high. Way above 10 PPM. Everything else was in the "Ideal" range on the test strip.
I changed out the carbon filter, did a 40% water change, and I'm hoping that the levels will drop substantially so that I'm able to go out and buy the fish in a week or so.
Is there anything else that I can do to allow the NitrIte levels to drop quicker?
Also, I haven't lost any fish at all since the aquarium was started up. There are 5 Neon Tetras, 1 Golden Gourami, and 3 Platy's. So I assume that they just slowly became acclimated to the changing water parameters.
40% may have been a bit too much but nothing we can do to change that now, your on stage two of your cycle and have prob about two weeks or so until it completes i would wait till then to add new fish and i would only add two at a time to give things a chance to even out. there is no INSTANT fix for ANYTHING in aquarium water EVER i dont care what a product guarantees and im sure numerous people will back me on this. just be patient and it will all work in your favor. Money
I'm no fan of adding lots of chemicals in hopes of a good result, but the science behind Seachem Prime is fairly sound.
I found it pretty interesting. It may just help with your Nitrite issue.
If you really had a nitrite reading of 10ppm there would not be a single fish alive. Nitrite test kits (API's anyway) doesn't even go above 5.
Assuming you really meant nitrate, you have no problems. Nitrate at 10ppm is fine. But don't overload the system--a few fish will allow the bacteria to multiply sufficient to handle the increased ammonia and nitrite over a few days.
no, i mean nitrite. with the i.
I am unfamiliar with test strips ,and find it odd that they would go up to 10 for as others have mentioned,, anything above zero for nitrites and ammonia is harmful to lethal for fish. Are you sure the test doesn't indicate 1.0 rather than 10ppm/ In any event,, I would perform a 50 percent water change daily or every twelvehours until nitrites are at zero. I would also use a full function water conditioner such as PRIME which can be used at double dose to help with nitrites along with water changes.
I agree with others that you should not add any more fish until your test strips indicate zero for ammonia,and zero for nitrites for three or four consecutive days. Then you should also see nitrAtes which should be kept at twenty or below with weekly 25 percent water changes.
More fish = more ammonia=more nitrites=DEAD fish. You may need to test your water daily and perform water changes daily to keep the ammonia and nitrites at or near zero. I would also recommend feeding the fish once a day or once every other day to help with getting the water parameters under control.
I concur with prevous advice. Also highly recomend you get a small bottle of Seachem's "Stability" for the reasons given in okijapan's post. I can't say it better.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2