Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   So many choices! So little room/time/money! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/so-many-choices-so-little-room-2967/)

Rue 02-01-2007 06:57 PM

So many choices! So little room/time/money!

I'm still in no rush...but I've been researching and looking at bigger aquariums at the local petstores...so many choices, but really, not that many suitable for what I want or can afford;

1. I still think I'd be best off with a 55g corner tank...room wise...even though I give up some area of the tank itself (compared to rectangular)...but I don't want a bow-front, unless someone can assure me there's no distortion...

2. ...I like the normal, rectangular aquariums the best, but I have limited space for a longer tank...I've been rearranging my furniture in my head, but the only space the tank would fit without creating havoc is in my front hall (fairly large)...but there it would be subject to whatever draft the front door lets in when it's open...might not be an issue, but I don't know...

3. I'm also looking at the 75 g tanks...but I have real reservations about them...

4. The other thing...this is VERY important to ME (not to the fish)...I want a nice stand that goes with the furniture in my house (not too fussy...except I want a wooden stand with legs (so I can sweep underneath and keep an eye out for leaks) and with an antiquey look...I also want a drawer for food and the smaller fish paraphenalia in addition to the cupboard...

Think I can find a stand like this? Noooooo! Of course not!

In a regular sized rectangular tank...what advantage would I get out of a 75 gallon tank vs. a 55 g? Aren't they only 2" wider? I know they're taller too...but that doesn't help at all, or does it?

blueblue48 02-01-2007 07:11 PM

ive also been eyeing those corner tanks but the bad thing about them is fish like to swim back and forth!! about the 55 vs 75 the 75 would be better anyday because more room (im sure someone has already said this) and bigger tanks require about the same maintaince of a smaller tank but with a larger startup cost.

musho3210 02-01-2007 07:13 PM

Ok, any size tank would work fine for you, a 55g or a 75g. The better things of the 75g is that there is more swimming space and more water making it easier to take care of (the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain water quality). Now there are many different lengths, heights, width, corner, bowfront, hex, etc. to chose from. YOu can get a rectangular 75 gallon "high" (these have more height) or a rectangular 75 gallon "long" (these have more width) You should look around the market until you see one you like). Sadly no aquarium stand would be able for you to go underneath it to sweep it and stuff. The reason for this is because aquariums are very heavy. A 75 gallon aquarium can weigh up to 900 pounds, a 55 gallon can be up to 600-700 pounds. You dont only add up how much water the tank is going to hold but also ornaments and substrates weight.

Rue 02-01-2007 07:17 PM

Oh yes! Bigger = better! :D

But even 55 is HUGE compared to 25! LOL...

...and I can't have more tanks...one big one is all I get! I like maintaining the tank...and I want to keep it like that... :wink:

blueblue48 02-01-2007 07:19 PM

also the higher tank you decide to buy would cost more then the same amount of gallons but longer. the reason for this is the thickness of glass. about the bowfront im pretty sure if you can find an acrylic tank they have no distortion, because my betta has an acrylic 2.5 gallon and he looks the same on the bowed front then on the sides or back.

Rue 02-01-2007 07:24 PM

...thanks musho! Actually, our PetsMart has two styles of stands with legs in at the moment, for the larger tanks...

I don't mind the style of the one...but I don't like the colour or the particleboard construction... :? I'd much prefer it to be made of wood...

...but the sturdy wooden stand they carry would only look good in a Western themed room (IMO)...

What I need is a willing and able CARPENTER!!! :brow:

Rue 02-01-2007 07:26 PM

So no distortion at all with the acrylic bowfronts? Good to know!

I'm just worried about the acrylic scratching...but then again, it's not like I'm rough when I scrub or anything...

You got me thinking more! :lol:

soco1125 02-01-2007 10:15 PM

Steer clear of particleboard! Usually if it gets wet, it warps. Get a metal or solid wood one if you can.

Rue 02-01-2007 10:20 PM

Yes, it has to be wood...that's not an option!

I was even thinking about taking a woodworking class so I could make it for myself...shouldn't be that complicated...right?

...and I did take woodworking when I was in Grade 9!!!! :lol: :wink:

Unrulyevil 02-02-2007 04:07 PM

dont forget that the bigger the tank the better lighting you need, there for it will be costly. 55 imo is almost the same as 75 .. they are same in lenght and only difference is... hight? and.. wide? no?