Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   My BGK died... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/my-bgk-died-2963/)

trentstephens 02-01-2007 03:58 PM

My BGK died...

He died of ick today. Im wondering, are all knife fish super sensitive to meds? And how often do I use the meds now? BTW, I pickled his body, he is now my precious trophy

blueblue48 02-01-2007 04:20 PM

....ew. howd you "pickle" his body?

FDStation152 02-01-2007 04:23 PM

I'm pretty sure they are however I've never kept them so don't take that answer to be definitive.

jones57742 02-01-2007 05:11 PM

Folks:

This is my two cents worth.

Even in a properly maintained and stocked ecosystem anomalies will occur but rarely.

In 9 months I have had two cases of ich which I effectively cured with salt and temperature.

Also in 9 months I have only used meds once (Melafix) when an angel became "stuck" in a rock hole and had to be manually removed.

IMHO meds should only be a "last ditch" effort in dealing with ich.

TR

FDStation152 02-01-2007 05:16 PM

Well that would depend on the fish type. Not all fish can handle the salt in the tank and are as sensitive to the salt as they are medication. Every once in a while something does pop up and while it is sometimes possible to cure the problem without medication sometimes it is necessary. Salt and temperature alone wont fix everything.

jones57742 02-01-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDStation152
Well that would depend on the fish type. Not all fish can handle the salt in the tank and are as sensitive to the salt as they are medication. Every once in a while something does pop up and while it is sometimes possible to cure the problem without medication sometimes it is necessary. Salt and temperature alone wont fix everything.

FD:

Two items:

In my post I stated ich.

Yes: certain species of fish are significantly more sensitive to salt than other species.

The first time I cured ich on an angelfish I "slobbered up" and virtually instantaneously induced a salt concentration of 1Tblsn/10G and increased the temperature from 78F to 84F.
The second day I increased the salt concentration to 1Tblspn/7.5G and the temperature to 86F.
By observation the plecos and sterbai were not "happy campers".

The second time I cured ich on an angelfish I employed a much more conservative algorithm.

Day 1
Induced a salt concentration of 1Tblspn/20G.
Increased temperature from 78F to 80F.

Day 2
Increased the salt concentration to 1 Tblspn/15G.
Increased the temperature to 82F.

Day 3
Increased the salt concentration to 1 Tblspn/10G.
Increased the temperature to 84F.

Day 4
The evidence of ich was significantly reduced.
Maintained Day 3 salt concentration and temperature.

I maintained the Day 3 salt concentration and temperature until ich was not observable (approximately 4 days).

On the 8th day I began reversing the process by slowly decreasing the salt concentration and temperature (for three days).

At no time did the plecos or sterbai evidence stress.

TR

trentstephens 02-01-2007 08:59 PM

Thank you for those instructions im going to save them :D so you would say it is safe to add my clown knife now?

jones57742 02-01-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentstephens
Thank you for those instructions im going to save them :D so you would say it is safe to add my clown knife now?

1) what other fish do you have in the tank and are they exhibiting ich?

2) I would not do that one until subsequent to several days of activated carbon filtration.

TR