Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   H.O.T Magnum Filter problem - How do I fix it? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/h-o-t-magnum-filter-problem-29570/)

CichlidsTank 09-24-2009 11:14 AM

H.O.T Magnum Filter problem - How do I fix it?

I bought a used tank and it came with a H.O.T magnum filter 250.

It works, but the MAGNETIC IMPELLER ASSEMBLY falls apart and then it stops working.

I think the little black caps on each end of the impeller assembly are suppose to be glued on and not come off. The problem is one stays on, but the other falls off all the time.

I think the solution would be to glue the lose cap on with super glue, but will that make things worse?

Does anyone have this filter and know if both little black caps on the impeller are suppose to stay on and not be lose, or have any other suggestions on how to fix my filter?

Thanks!

1077 09-24-2009 11:25 AM

The black caps should gently twist on and off about a half turn. To glue them together would make it very hard to replace or clean the impeller. If the caps are worn from use and will not stay together, I would look at replacing the impeller housing. I believe DrsFosterSmith.com has replacements. I recall buying the assembly from them for a used Hot Magnum I got some time ago. I typed in ..Parts for magnum filters in their search engine and was able to get replacement.

CichlidsTank 09-24-2009 11:34 AM

Well before I buy a new one. I think I would rather try glueing this one to see if it work.

I don't know if this is an old model or what, but one black cap definately does not move at all, and the other one does not stay on at all!?

Will a drop or two of super glue hurt my tank at all if I let it dry all the way?

1077 09-24-2009 11:45 AM

Prolly would be OK. Would give you some time to perhaps replace the part.

aunt kymmie 09-24-2009 12:39 PM

I have this exact same filter and while gluing it may help, replacing the impeller housing would make more sense. 1077's correct when he tells you, "The black caps should gently twist on and off about a half turn. To glue them together would make it very hard to replace or clean the impeller".
Much easier to replace an impeller than to have to replace an entire filter because you couldn't clean or repair it. Just my 2 cents. :)

CichlidsTank 09-24-2009 08:37 PM

Well... I glued one end and tryed it, but the motor popped the other end's little black cap off that wouldn't come off before... so... I glued that one too.

Stuck it in the filter, and it works just fine. As far as cleaning it - I can just pop apart the black bubble thing to clean it. I don't think it is going to be a problem