Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Tubing - Barb fitting compatability? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/tubing-barb-fitting-compatability-2949/)

Astaroth 02-01-2007 02:04 AM

Tubing - Barb fitting compatability?

Simple question - if, say, I have 5/8" tubing in use in my aquarium setup, and would like to purchase a device that has 3/4" barb fittings...could it work?

I realize that the difference of 1/8" would make soaking the tubing in hot water or using silicone grease almost necessary to get in on the larger barb...but since I cannot find adapters for 3/4<->5/8 I was hoping it would be possible before I buy.

Thanks.

jones57742 02-01-2007 06:21 PM

Instead of subjecting yourself to this ordeal and as Ghost would put it in two words "Home Depot".

Hopefully you have one in or near your community. The plumbing section has a tremendous selection of various fittings.

TR

DiegoDude 02-02-2007 02:40 AM

What about finding a fitting that goes from your 5/8" to 1" then 1" back down to the 3/4". Just a thought.

Astaroth 02-02-2007 02:54 AM

Part of the problem is that I have been unable to locate (online, etc) any barb fittings that are 5/8". I have found 1/2, 3/4 and 1" but not 5/8". You can certainly find more 5/8" tubing to buy though.

For example, at That Fish Place and the DRs site.

jones57742 02-02-2007 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiegoDude
What about finding a fitting that goes from your 5/8" to 1" then 1" back down to the 3/4". Just a thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astaroth
Part of the problem is that I have been unable to locate (online, etc) any barb fittings that are 5/8". I have found 1/2, 3/4 and 1" but not 5/8". You can certainly find more 5/8" tubing to buy though.

DiegoDude is partially on the correct track here.
The only problem with his suggestion is what is termed "expansion and contraction pressure loss" in the engineering world.

Once again I encourage you to go to a Home Depot if one is available and if not another home DIY business.
I am saying this because
1) your cost will be very significantly less at that business to obtain a 5/8" x 3/4" reducer than buying on line and

2)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Astaroth
Simple question - if, say, I have 5/8" tubing in use in my Aquarium setup, and would like to purchase a device that has 3/4" barb fittings...could it work?

I believe that it will at least on a temporary basis.
My experience is going from a Metric size barb fitting (Eheim cannister filter) to an English size tube.
This was a real pain to install and I only used the filter for a week due to an emergency.
In long term use the tubing may weaken and begin leaking due to the stress.

TR

Astaroth 02-02-2007 10:01 AM

Stopped at Home Depot this morning, they have a nice section but no adapters that would work. Guy I talked to said it was too close in size, but it should work (3/4" barbs with 5/8" tubing) as is, but if I wanted to be extra sure, then use some hose clamps, which sounds like a good idea.

There is a Lowes farther away, I may try there on Tuesday, but if not then I think I will just give it the ol' college try (without the funnel) - figure of speech.

Thanks!