Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   My bf SERIOUSLY overfed my Betta- Thoughts? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/my-bf-seriously-overfed-my-betta-29474/)

Romad 09-22-2009 08:34 PM

My bf SERIOUSLY overfed my Betta- Thoughts?

Groan.....

The cable guy came today so my bf thought he was doing my betta a favor by giving him a treat or two to distract him while the cable guy was working behind the tank.

And by treat - I mean he dumped a bunch of pellets into the tank. I came home and saw all this food floating and at the bottom of the tank. I did 90% water change and complete siphon of gravel. I pulled out over 100 pellets. I'm so mad!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrr!!!

Anyway, since I have no idea how much he consumed (he's a known glutton), how long do you think I should fast him?? 2 days? 3 or 4 days?

And, if I notice signs of swollen belly, should I try the crushed pea? Should I try that anyway? Lord knows I don't want to feed him anything else but.....

What would you do?

JohnnyD44 09-22-2009 09:07 PM

i have never kept a betta fish, but I just wanted to say I feel your pain.....my old roommate use to love watching them swim around and chase food, so for his drunken entertainment he would feed them 3 or 4 times a night!!!!! ugh.....really glad he failed out....

i hope your betta is going to be ok Romad, I'm sure someone will be along with some helpful advice

doggyhog 09-22-2009 09:10 PM

Fast him. Don't feed him a pea either, it can damage their digestive system.

dramaqueen 09-22-2009 09:22 PM

Like doggyhog said, fast him for 2 or 3 days and try feeding some daphnia after the fast is over.

Romad 09-22-2009 09:52 PM

Thanks guys. I will fast him for a few days and skip the pea.

As for my bf, i'm thinking of fasting him too. (He's hiding upstairs at the moment LOL).

Romad 09-22-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 247093)
i have never kept a betta fish, but I just wanted to say I feel your pain.....my old roommate use to love watching them swim around and chase food, so for his drunken entertainment he would feed them 3 or 4 times a night!!!!! ugh.....really glad he failed out....

i hope your betta is going to be ok Romad, I'm sure someone will be along with some helpful advice

Glad you got rid of him one way or the other.

Thanks for your thoughts. I love my lil guy and will be so sad if this hurt him.

dramaqueen 09-22-2009 09:56 PM

lol! No food for the bf for a few days, then feed HIM some daphnia, too!

Romad 09-22-2009 10:00 PM

He does not deserve daphnia. Unless I can put it in his underwear (or something similar).

dramaqueen 09-22-2009 10:01 PM

lol!!

MikeyG 10-01-2009 08:58 PM

Some baby brine shrimp in his beer? :lol: