Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Compatiblity in my 29gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/compatiblity-my-29gallon-29465/)

gondo 09-22-2009 05:22 PM

Compatiblity in my 29gallon

I have a 29 gallon with 3 Corry's..1 spotted, 1 bronze, and 1 albino. It also has 3 horseface loaches roaming the bottom. Swimming around I have a small school of 12 or so Neon Tetras. I also have 1 black phantom tetra left from an earlier school.

What would go good with the Neon tetras? I'm not sure if I want to rebuild a black phantom school.

My water is softened RO/DI that is reconstituted to remain soft. PH is buffered at 6.5. Temp is between 75'F-80'F depending on room temperature but usually in the 76-77'F range. My heater has hi or lo so I don't have much choice.

So far all my fish prefer these water parameters. Any other swimmers, not bottom dwellers, that would get along and also prefer soft slightly acidic water.

jeaninel 09-22-2009 06:16 PM

How about some Rummynose Tetra or Harlequin Rasboras. I would do a school of at least 6.

gondo 09-23-2009 04:42 PM

I like the rummy nose but the wife doesn't. reason we always had black phantoms was they contrast the neons/cardinals. Neons are cheaper so we get those.

I'd like something different. Maybe like a baby whale or a docile shark if one exist that wouldn't eat the tetras.

MXS 09-23-2009 10:37 PM

Dwarf Gourami?

Guppyluver4ever 09-27-2009 04:58 PM

ou could go with a ram, they are peaceful cichlids that are like 4" and they are very colorful

gondo 09-28-2009 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppyluver4ever (Post 249196)
ou could go with a ram, they are peaceful cichlids that are like 4" and they are very colorful

Yes this dwarf cichlid looks interesting. It is a bit larger than the Neons yet peaceful, and colorful. Also called butterfly cichlid cause of all the colors. They also require the low PH soft water free of any contaminants just like the RO water I have. This is one fish I will consider. Thanks.

Byron 09-28-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gondo (Post 249433)
Yes this dwarf cichlid looks interesting. It is a bit larger than the Neons yet peaceful, and colorful. Also called butterfly cichlid cause of all the colors. They also require the low PH soft water free of any contaminants just like the RO water I have. This is one fish I will consider. Thanks.

The common ram, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, is not an easy fish. It is particular about water parameters, and in your case the temperature would be an issue. This fish never does well below 80F or higher. Neons won't last long above 80F as they are better suited to what you have now, 75-77F. I would not mix these. The corydoras also are healthier at the lower temperatures; some species, like C. sterbai, can tolerate higher temperatures which is why they are often recomended for discus and ram aquaria, but most of the common species fare better in cooler (mid-70'sF) water.

But the Bolivian Ram, Mikrogeophagus altispinosa, is different and would suit your setup. It does well in lower temperatures with the neons and corys. Quite a peaceful cichlid, and it does well as a lone fish, just one in the tank. In a 29g, one or a mated pair (male/female) would work, but this is not an easy fish to sex especially when young and small as they usually are in stores. Two males would be constantly threatening and harassing each other unless they have space to establish and defend their individual territories. But one of these with neons and corys (and yes, a few more corys is recommended) would be a nice display.

Byron.