Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Rainbow shark with a two raphael catfish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/rainbow-shark-two-raphael-catfish-29409/)

mags2313 09-21-2009 05:38 PM

Rainbow shark with a two raphael catfish?
 
Will this work out? One Rainbow Shark with two Raphael Catfish?
They will be going into a 5 ft 70gallon tank.

And since my tank is so long and big, could I keep TWO Rainbow sharks?

Will Rainbow sharks bother my big rainbow fish and big columbian tetras?

Thank You ! Your replies are appreciated...:-)

mags2313 09-22-2009 06:31 PM

Nobody knows?? :cry::oops::shock:

aunt kymmie 09-22-2009 06:51 PM

I doubt a rainbow shark will bother your rainbow fish or tetras. As far as keeping two? I have no idea. Your tank seems large enough that if you had plenty of caves & hiding spaces they'd each be able to "claim" their own territories.
I know nothing about the Raphael cats. :-(

mags2313 09-22-2009 07:01 PM

Thanks Kimmie.

My Rainbow Fish are both juvelines and are tolerating each other well; they are currently in a 30gal quarantine tank with lots of hiding and lots of other fish.
I'm hoping that growing up together will help with aggression and the fact that I will be housing them in a 5 ft long tank...

But yeah , It all depends on the SIZE of the tank!

Is there anyone on fishforum who has successfully housed two rainbow sharks together?:-)

yippee 09-23-2009 02:15 AM

I haven't but i do plan on housing 2 red tail sharks, and one rainbow in a 8 foot tank.

The keys are a long enough tank, separate hiding places/territories, and lots of tank division. If you do this, there is no reason it won't work. Just place their territories on opposite ends of the tank so they are encouraged to set up base as far away from each other as possible. And divide the tank where they cannot see straight to each other. (by division i mean plants and decorations.

mags2313 09-23-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yippee (Post 247241)
I haven't but i do plan on housing 2 red tail sharks, and one rainbow in a 8 foot tank.

The keys are a long enough tank, separate hiding places/territories, and lots of tank division. If you do this, there is no reason it won't work. Just place their territories on opposite ends of the tank so they are encouraged to set up base as far away from each other as possible. And divide the tank where they cannot see straight to each other. (by division i mean plants and decorations.

Definitely let me know how that works out and take pics!

I guess I should give it a shot and see what happens... I have alot of rock and drfitwood and plants going in so I can build structures and stuff.:-)

Lupin 09-24-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mags2313 (Post 246370)
Will this work out? One Rainbow Shark with two Raphael Catfish?
They will be going into a 5 ft 70gallon tank.

And since my tank is so long and big, could I keep TWO Rainbow sharks?

Will Rainbow sharks bother my big rainbow fish and big columbian tetras?

Thank You ! Your replies are appreciated...:-)

Mags, as long asyou have enough decorations to serve as boundaries, keeping two rainbow sharks in a 5 footer is absolutely fine. They should not bother your other fish. You have plenty of space. Normally, they will harass other tankmates if cramped for space.

Which raphael catfish do you have? Keeping two raphaels will work just fine. The Platydoras costatus are very oblivious to anything and are painfully nocturnal for those who wish to somehow see them a lot.

mags2313 09-24-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 247793)
Mags, as long asyou have enough decorations to serve as boundaries, keeping two rainbow sharks in a 5 footer is absolutely fine. They should not bother your other fish. You have plenty of space. Normally, they will harass other tankmates if cramped for space.

Which raphael catfish do you have? Keeping two raphaels will work just fine. The Platydoras costatus are very oblivious to anything and are painfully nocturnal for those who wish to somehow see them a lot.

I do believe that my Raphaels are the Platyodras costatus and YES they never come out of this one cave I have... I've seen Raphael's wiggle around inside the cave at like, 2 in the morning but that's it.
I know they must be coming out at some time because they are the only one's who eat the cucumber we put in, and it has BIG chunks taken from it when I check in the a.m :-)...

Will Rainbow Sharks bother my Zebra loaches or Dojo loaches?

Thanks Lupin

Lupin 09-25-2009 12:41 AM

Dojo loaches have little tolerance for harassments. Go with zebra loaches.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2