Tropical Fish Keeping banner

can anyone id this anenome plez?

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  caferacermike 
#1 ·

the first one is the biggest specimen, when fully open at night about, well maybe a little over an inch in diameter. the second is a little one you can just see at the base of the rock. now i do feed it and there are 2 big (as above) size ones and at least 2 tiny ones. basically anything anyone can tell me about these guys would be good. thanks

See less See more
#4 ·

they're circled in red now. they came on the lr when we bought it. we have an apastasia, with very thin wispy tantacles (if thats what u call them) that comes out at night. But these guys have a very distinct mouth in the centre and can move their tentacles individually. they can completley withdraw into their base, but dont hide in any hole in the rock. they don't move around the tank either. they do open in the day but seem to prefer the night. im not sure if u can see in the pic well but there tantacles are mostly transparent but end in little brownish bubbles. their main body is the same color as the bubbles.

#5 ·
I have been tring to figure out what they are I have a couple on my live rock.

#9 ·
I see the specimine in the picture, and I have some like that in my tank too. Maybe three total. They live in deep holes, or crevices in the liverock, and only come out at night. The tentacles are almost completely clear. If it wasn't for the tiny white dots on the tips, you could barely notice them. The mouth is a thin white-ish slit.

I'm by no means an expert, but I just can't seem to make the connection between what he's trying to identify, and the large green majano anemones. I'm going to read more about them and see if I change my opinion.

#11 ·
Yes Majanos come in several colors. You might possibly have a strawberry anemone from the Pacific. The do not live well in our tanks as they need warm water to thrive. They are uncommon as most reefers wish to keep their tanks around 78F or less. Another very remote possibility is that you might have a type of dendro coral that grows in a clear stalk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.