Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   What are the best ways to treat a BGK for ICH? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/what-best-ways-treat-bgk-ich-2935/)

trentstephens 01-31-2007 06:19 PM

What are the best ways to treat a BGK for ICH?

Please help, this is my favorite fish :cry:

Lupin 01-31-2007 06:46 PM

Welcome.:wave:

Malachite green will do the job but be careful not to overdose as BGKs are scaleless and most medications can harm them. Increase the temperature and treat with either salt/medicine. Dissolve salt first before adding it to your main tank. Do the treatment in the main tank, not in isolation as almost all fish already serve as carriers of ich.

trentstephens 01-31-2007 07:12 PM

The Ingredients in the medicine i bought were Malachite Green and chitosan. Should I follow these instructions: Use 10 mL per 5 gallons of water on 1, 2 and 3 day. Which method would be safer salt/medicine?

musho3210 01-31-2007 07:19 PM

salt is ok but the ich might grow an immunity to the salt, rendering the effect useless. The good thing about the salt is that it wont harm the beneficial bacteria.

Meds are ok but they can harm scaless fish, they can destroy good bacteria and can kill plants. But meds are also gread for killing the bad things, imo, meds kill most good and bad things, they cant tell one apart from the other

Lupin 01-31-2007 07:20 PM

I'd do half dose for Malachite Green.

musho3210 01-31-2007 07:22 PM

blue, is that really ok? if you dose too softly the medication wont kill the ich and since it is in a small quantity, the ich might grow immune to it, an ich immune to malachite green isnt going to be easy to get rid of

Melissa 01-31-2007 07:30 PM

We had a BGK, and i loved it. I would just try to raise the temp in the tank to move along the cycle of the ich. We were told its best not to medicate a BGK but if you need to then dose it in half.

Melissa 01-31-2007 07:32 PM

oh....and to add to what i already said. Is he your only fish or do you have others with him. Also do you have a quarantene tank?

Lupin 01-31-2007 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
blue, is that really ok? if you dose too softly the medication wont kill the ich and since it is in a small quantity, the ich might grow immune to it, an ich immune to malachite green isnt going to be easy to get rid of

IMO, it's fine. If it didn't work, how did the ich got eliminated when I used half dosage before just to save some of my scaleless fish's plight especially my loaches before?

Scaleless fish do not tolerate heavy dosage hence half is the better option.

Mel, I don't think the quarantine tank will help considering ich will aready exist in the main tank if introduced via a carrier. However, moving all the fish to another tank for two weeks will guarantee elimination of ich as they have no host to feed on although you might get mini cycles as there aren't wastes for the bacteria to feed on either.:shake:

Melissa 01-31-2007 07:42 PM

thats what i was wondering if they had them blue, if there were no other fish then the BGK could go into quarantene and the tank could be left for the ich to cycle.