Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Sad/good news all in one!

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  steelersx 
#1 ·
Well ... What had happened was.. MY power went out last week and African Cichlids get all types of angsty and mean when there is still water! I kept hearing ruckus and then one loud slam of one of my fish hitting to top glass. They were going crazy fighting and Rusty is notorious for pushing a fish in it's mid section to exactly where he wants it...so umm. he wanted that fish outa the tank. A day or two later my f1 white lab from tumbi reef finally died. No bite marks so he as the one who hit the glass(I could see what looked like internal damage from impact.) So sad, he was so beautiful and a rare fish to find. But to my surprise .. The breeder gave his dad to my store and nobody bought him yet. He is a WILD! My very first true wild! They are holding him for me ill I return from my trip on Wednesday. And then they should have 3 more or so Electric blue ram babys for me to pic from for another tank. eeeeehhhhhh. A wild! He is 3-4inchs so I'm praying my dominant and subdominant same sized males will take no issue to him.

PICS SOON! Both the new ram(s) and My wild white boy !

#3 ·
How exciting! Can't wait for pictures!

Reactions: Agent13
#4 ·
I'm just so excited. He is beautiful! And was in suburb care as I know the breeder and almost only bought from his stock. He only breeds his wilds a few times before retiring and rehoming or keeping for non breeding purposes. Best in the area. And to think my new boy was born in Tumbi Reef in lake Malawi in African spent some time there then traveled here. What a cool thing to know!

#8 ·
Still hoping to hear from the breeder about any holdbacks he had of the tumbi reef white boys...
but...Picture fest time of the electric blue ram babies (owever one I'm unsure is a true electric blue..the black stripe is throwing me off but they took well the my origin ram.. and seem well adjusted.
(Sorry, I swear they always are pooping when I'm cooking which happens to be the easiest time to take pics of them lol)

I love this new one! He has a bright blue upper lip lol! and always a fan of the camera.

They tend to take group pics better hen I put my finger on the glass :-?

Thats my blue lipped one coming to my finger

#12 · (Edited)
Oh MAN!!! O.O

So sorry to hear about BOTH of your 'white boys.' (and the power out, cuz' those just suck, regardless of fish)

What a bummer! Wilders hold the same fascination for me, too. I just can't help but think of this animal. . . just a short time ago. . . THERE!!! Really blows my mind to think how far some have come to live with us. Amazing. . .

I hope you find a new one of the right size to get along with the others. . . I think!??? Kind of nervous, they seem like targets! You and your aggressives! *shakes head* I don't know what I'd do if one of my (tiny) fish decided to jump and hit the tank lid - much less if it were PUSHED OUT OF THE WATER BY A TANK-MATE!!! Yeeeesh. Brutal!

Cichlids are amazing and fascinating things. . . but I think I'll stick to the bitty dwarvish ones. Like rams! I do SO love rams! Congrats on those pretty new blues! Nothing wrong with a peaceful community, Agent! Glad to hear you gave peace a chance - and LIKE it!

Who else lives in this tank, I really can't keep your tanks straight to save my life (good thing it isn't a requirement that I do, neh?)

Gotta admit, I'm amused by the dinner-time poop fests. Assuming you're cooking dinner for the humanfish hybrids you have there? Mmmmhmm, I always wonder where those veggies go - I'm quite sure they don't eat them that quickly! Looks like another case closed to me! ^.~

I guess I'm not allowed to demand more pics just yet, right? Too soon? *bees patient*

#13 · (Edited)
Honestly I'm a little mad at myself about the wild white boy(I just love how that sounds lol). I had just seen him when I stopped in to chat with the store manager. I seriously considered buying him that day which was the week before the power out but decided to think about it * Bad Marie! I should always listen to my inner voice*. He was murdered by a tank mate while I was in Baltimore :cry:

AH yes.. my pretty peaceful tank( Don't worry Chesh, I have trouble remembering exactly what I have sometimes ;-) ). That is the home of the electric blue Rams, bronze corys, albino corys, julii corys, Zebra loaches, Thread fin Rainbows, a male "Bettadora", and the last group I keep thinking I'm sure then I second guess myself they are either Angelicus Botias or Yoyo loaches... last week I was sure they were Yoyo's this week I'm leaning towards Angelicus dunno :dunno:

The Rams certainly are interested in my cooking but I still am not sure how to take it when they poop while watching my food lol

#15 ·
Adorable and gorgeous! I don't have soft, low PH water, so I can't have them, but I sure can admire yours!

#16 ·
i am extremely jealous of all your tanks (that i have seen lol) somehow they all manage to look amazingly beautiful and the way you talk makes it sound like you just dump everything in there lol i can spend weeks on decorations and planting and still not get it to look as good as yours lol *sulks quietly to herself*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.