Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   new tank for planting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/new-tank-planting-2927/)

englandbloke 01-31-2007 03:58 PM

new tank for planting

im getting a new tank and ill want to have it planted. the one i have now has some plants in it but most of them have algy on or have holes in. i have put plant food in and have a fresh water light which i was told helps plants as well but sinse christmas they have been going down hill.

so my question is for my new tank wat can i do to make the plants live long and healthy. ive herd stuff about co2 stuff but i dont no anythin bout that lol.

so any help will be a great help, cheers

Amphitrite 01-31-2007 04:03 PM

Hi englandbloke and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, can you tell us the size of the tank will be, and what sort of lighting you will be putting in.

I'm not expert on plants, but I do believe the minimum amount of light required for plants to thrive is 2 watts per gallon.

FDStation152 01-31-2007 04:04 PM

How about a little more information on that lighting you are using? How many watts for what sized tank? Are we talking about a flourescent tube here or the bulbs? That is the first and most basic step as none of the other stuff will be of use without proper lighting.

englandbloke 01-31-2007 04:44 PM

the light i have at the min is 30w for a 40 gallon tank.

this is the spec for the new 1

Volume: approx. 260 litres
Light System with electronic ballast and 2 x 38/40 W tube
JUWEL Filter System: Standard
Colour: Beech
Size: 121 x 62 x 46 cm

thats all it tells me

englandbloke 01-31-2007 04:45 PM

i orderd it online buy the way

FDStation152 01-31-2007 05:04 PM

.75 W per gallon isn't nearly enough and is the most likely reason your plants are doing poorly.

Aquaticmoon 02-01-2007 11:59 AM

What kind of plants are you wanting to grow? At .75 wpg not a lot of plants will grow, but few like crypts, moss, and a few more will grow and be happy.
IMHO the holes in the leaves is cause by a lack of Potassium .

jones57742 02-01-2007 07:16 PM

Re: new tank for planting

Quote:

Originally Posted by englandbloke
... so my question is for my new tank wat can i do to make the plants live long and healthy ...

Your question is too nebulous to answer via a post and would require many inches (thickness) of book in order to even begin to properly address.

The executive briefing is: proper lighting intensity, lighting duration, substrate and water quality. In addition liquid fertilizers and/or fertilization tabs will be necessary.

A site which I can recommend for you to commence you education is
http://www.aquahobby.com/e_garden.php.

You can also google "aquarium plants" for additional informative sites.

TR

fish_4_all 02-01-2007 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by englandbloke
the light i have at the min is 30w for a 40 gallon tank.

this is the spec for the new 1

Volume: approx. 260 litres
Light System with electronic ballast and 2 x 38/40 W tube
JUWEL Filter System: Standard
Colour: Beech
Size: 121 x 62 x 46 cm

thats all it tells me

Ok, sounds like 70 US Gallons, 58 gallon UK. If I read your post right, you have 76 watts of fluorescent light although I am not sure, you need to tell us if it standard flourescent or Compact Power flourescent. Once you have that known, put your tank dimensions in HERE so you can determine your light levels.

The next step is to get the plants and start to experiment to see what will work for you to grow them. No one can tell you a miracle formula that will guarantee that you will grow plants. I can tell you that using the Estimative Index for fertilizer dosing is a fairly easy and safe way to do it. I will explain it if you need me to. Wisteria, Water sprite and Elodea will eat a ton of fertilizers and require a lot more dosing.

Have patience, we will get you on the right rack and help you grow plants. The way you described them they are lacking in nutrients, likely NO3 and Iron. The lighting is playing a role but we need to get that figured out seperately.

I know that it seems very complicated but it really isn't. Take the time and provide as much as you can about your tank setup, type of lighting and what plants you want to grow and we can help you from there. Don't give up, it took me 2 years to learn to grow plants and now I can grow them in conditions that shouldn't grow plants as well as mine grow. Many can do it and with a little patience and experimenting you can do it too.