Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   20G tank, what else to stock with? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/20g-tank-what-else-stock-29232/)

Freshyfish 09-19-2009 03:04 PM

20G tank, what else to stock with?

Hey everyone :-) Brand new to the forum!

Alright, so I'm fairly new to the whole aquarium experience, besides a 10G tank that I had for a couple of years, but gave up on that since I didn't have the knowledge or the time to take care of it. Turns out, I now have the time, so a couple of months ago, I bought a 20G aquarium kit for only $99 at Petco that included the filter, heater, thermometer etc.

Well, after it finished cycling, I started to add a couple of fish every other week. So far, I have a dwarf gourami, 5 neon tetras, and 3 platy's. I also have 3 Amazon Swordtails (The plants) along with a mixture of other plastic plants. I also have 3 rocks in there that the feesh love to swim through and around, hide behind etc.

Well, my question to you, is, what other types of fish should I add to the aquarium? I was thinking about getting some more plants, but I have no idea what types of fish to get.

Any ideas?

Thanks ;-)

Twistersmom 09-19-2009 04:07 PM

Hello and welcome the forum!
You don't have any bottom fish. How about some cory or kuhli loaches. Both the fish that I mentioned, do best in groups of 6 or more.

Freshyfish 09-19-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 245443)
Hello and welcome the forum!
You don't have any bottom fish. How about some cory or kuhli loaches. Both the fish that I mentioned, do best in groups of 6 or more.

After I posted this thread, I searched around on the web and started considering Cory's. I'll probably end up getting some of those, but do you think I have room for 6+ of them?

Twistersmom 09-19-2009 04:32 PM

I think you have the room. Some cory get bigger than others. I would choice a cory that stays somewhat small.

Freshyfish 09-20-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 245453)
I think you have the room. Some cory get bigger than others. I would choice a cory that stays somewhat small.

Great :-) Thank you!

I'm headed over to the fish store on Friday. Does anyone else have suggestions?

Freshyfish 09-21-2009 06:03 AM

Anyone?

JohnnyD44 09-21-2009 06:50 AM

I agree with TM on the corries, that are great bottom dwellers....and depending on the species, they will stay relatively small.....

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Calmwaters 09-21-2009 08:03 AM

Any of the small corys would be good. I personally like them all. ;-) But if I had to choose just one kind it would be the Leopard ones. Good luck with your fish.

Freshyfish 09-21-2009 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone! Cory's it is!