Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New to the hobby, need help with 180 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-hobby-need-help-180-a-29230/)

tlscott77 09-19-2009 01:20 PM

New to the hobby, need help with 180
 
Hi everyone I am new to the forum, I just recently acquired a 180 gallon tank that I would like to put in my basement. It has two holes on the bottom. I am new to this, so any help wold be great. I have questions like:

-what kind of fish
-what are the holes for
-how many filters
-what kind of filters
-how many fish
-etc...

This is the tank
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...7/IMG_2794.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...7/IMG_2795.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...7/IMG_2797.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...7/IMG_2799.jpg
Thanks for looking

Gav 09-19-2009 02:08 PM

Well first of all it needs a clean lol sorry for stating the obvious but I couldn't resist, the holes I am not sure possibly for an external filter? you'll have to wait until someone else knows what they are really for. Filtration is entirely up to you, if you feel the need to over filtrate go wild, but you should see what kind of fish you are wanting to keep and see how much filtration you will need, as for kinds of fish you should have a look and see what kinds you like and post them on here then the members can give you info on the fish.

How many fish depends entirely on what you want. Do you know the size of the tank litre/gallon?
As for kinds of filters, I use Fluval and have never had a problem, also Elite filters although I only own 2.
What kind of heaters are you going to get?

MoneyMitch 09-19-2009 02:13 PM

ok the holes are for a sump pump you connect hoses to them and they drain down to a sump filter than they are pumped back into the aquarium. when you clean your tank if it is acrylic then you need to you something that isnt going to scratch it. filtration is going to have to be a sump because the tank is already drilled/fitted with the bulk heads. those are best done if you build one yourself cause if you buy one your lookin at 500$ easy

mollies 09-19-2009 04:22 PM

IMO Do you know if it was used as a salt water set up? If it is a 180 gallon go for the reef tank. Do a lot of research. While your wating for the parts and peaces to put the sump together. I would plug the holes and c if it leaks befor i cleaned it. Then you know where to start from there.

tlscott77 09-19-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies (Post 245450)
IMO Do you know if it was used as a salt water set up? If it is a 180 gallon go for the reef tank. Do a lot of research. While your wating for the parts and peaces to put the sump together. I would plug the holes and c if it leaks befor i cleaned it. Then you know where to start from there.

It was a salt then converted to a freshwater and then went into storage. I heard that a reef is very hard to take care of?

tlscott77 09-19-2009 08:41 PM

Im interested in this fish
-Gourami
-Discus
-Tetra Fish
-Barb Fish
-Danio
-Neons
-Fancy Guppies

mollies 09-20-2009 01:43 AM

Are the hols pluged already? I would just wory bout them leaking if you do the fresh. or you could have a sump wet dry system under the tank. Reefs are harder to do, but if you do the research then you would manage ok. Is all you got to do is ask questions. If you want to make is salt/reef. just go into the salt water area of the for an they would gladly help you get started. IMO I would make it an affrican cichlid tank. Just me tho.

willow 09-20-2009 06:28 AM

i wonder if you could seal them over with a thick peice of glass.(the drilled holes that is)
nice size tank.
do you know which barbs you would like to keep ?

tlscott77 09-20-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies (Post 245688)
Are the hols pluged already? I would just wory bout them leaking if you do the fresh. or you could have a sump wet dry system under the tank. Reefs are harder to do, but if you do the research then you would manage ok. Is all you got to do is ask questions. If you want to make is salt/reef. just go into the salt water area of the for an they would gladly help you get started. IMO I would make it an affrican cichlid tank. Just me tho.

No, the holes are open.

tlscott77 09-20-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 245718)
i wonder if you could seal them over with a thick peice of glass.(the drilled holes that is)
nice size tank.
do you know which barbs you would like to keep ?

I think their called cherry bards


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2