Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Jumping back in! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/jumping-back-291929/)

Soyuki 10-25-2013 04:37 PM

Jumping back in!

I recently got employed at a store that sells fish and after many years of keeping them and only a few of getting off the hobby, it looks like I'm back in it again!

I lament getting rid of my 55g and Tiger Oscar but it was hard times and since he isn't here to spit water at me I can say I love my frog more!

I used to breed barbs, bettas and cichlids (convicts mostly). I used to have 1 55g, 3 10g and 2 40g breeders before college then gave them up. I used to make custom tank setups as well!

I will likely get a new tank once we move and I get settled into this job. My roommate has a saltwater that I have helped maintain but try to let her do the work of it (which has been trying... green hair algae has taken a strong hold, it's hard not to help out but this is her tank xD)

I decided to join this forum to help me brush up on my knowledge and learn other things as well as help out however I can!

About me:
29, almost 30 (ick!)
I still love Tiger Oscars
I know a ton and love my amphibians.
I know too much about cats. (I have 2)
Same with dogs. (I babysit 1!)
I do artwork in my spare time and play video games.
I try to learn one new thing every day!

willow 10-25-2013 04:51 PM

hello and warm welcome to you :-D

Tracy Bird 10-25-2013 04:57 PM

40 Breeders are an AWESOME size, very versatile with the 18 inch width - you can keep on a lot of great fish in 40b's.

What are you future fish keepin plans?

ALSO: Welcome......

SeaHorse 10-25-2013 05:30 PM

Welcome!!! We're glad you joined us!! pssst... I love Oscars too but can't devote a tank to them right now. Maybe some day I'll have one again.

Soyuki 10-25-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy Bird (Post 3282305)
40 Breeders are an AWESOME size, very versatile with the 18 inch width - you can keep on a lot of great fish in 40b's.

What are you future fish keepin plans?

ALSO: Welcome......

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, in answer to your question, my future tank plans are:

A 20-30 gallon tank (more if I have the money and depending on where we move, ideally a 55 gallon).
Custom backing.
I'd like a planted aquarium this time with hardy plants.
Then depending on the size of the tank I'd love to stock Fire Mouthed Cichlids, a Raphael's Catfish, some barbs or maybe just a setup revolving around dwarf african clawed frogs + fish it really depends.

I don't get paid enough to really consider saltwater for a future tank but I wouldn't mind helping my Roommate upgrade in size :3

Soyuki 10-25-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse (Post 3282425)
Welcome!!! We're glad you joined us!! pssst... I love Oscars too but can't devote a tank to them right now. Maybe some day I'll have one again.

Yeah part of why I didn't pick the hobby back up once I was employed is because I miss my Oscars a lot, but we live in such a small apartment that they're not practical to keep :P

I have learned that despite what anyone says, I have never had an oscar live with anything except a Raphael's Catfish, which to his/her credit they did try to eat at least once or twice before realizing it was pointy and icky.