Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   amount of food, or suggestions with setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/amount-food-suggestions-setup-29188/)

hellifino32 09-18-2009 04:45 PM

amount of food, or suggestions with setup

I've got a ten gallon, gravel bottom, two big plants,
fish
2 dwarf guirami, male and female
3 cardinal tetras,
4 silvertip tetras
2 julie corys
1 frog
1 happy bumble bee gobi
and a big pleco that hides

how much food should they get, i have frozen brine and flake

hellifino32 09-18-2009 05:18 PM

there is a pic in my profile

Twistersmom 09-18-2009 05:45 PM

Very nice tank!

They will not need a lot to eat. A pinch of food a couple times a day is enough.
Is the tank cycled? If not, you will want to feed even less to avoid any ammonia or nitrite spikes.

Rohland 09-18-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellifino32 (Post 245098)
I've got a ten gallon, gravel bottom, two big plants,
fish
2 dwarf guirami, male and female
3 cardinal tetras,
4 silvertip tetras
2 julie corys
1 frog
1 happy bumble bee gobi
and a big pleco that hides

how much food should they get, i have frozen brine and flake

You may be overstocking in some peoples opinions. Im not going to lecture you on that. Because I used to do that. However, corydoras are shoaling fish and prefer to be in group of around 6. Even 4 would be better than just the two.

Also your pleco is probably going to outgrow the aquarium.

hellifino32 09-18-2009 06:03 PM

the tank has been running for 6 months now, i dunno if you can see in the pic but there has been a recent surge of algea, but also it had been overfed,
so seeing what happened by a lil' overfeeding, just wanting to keep an eye on it
I know its a lot of fish for a tank this size, but the way i see it, the two corys and pleco don't really count, the guiramis are up at the top alot in the plants, and the tetras just chill out together, and the gobi is just helarius, call him spike,
I think the silvertips are a bit bored with the small tank, but the cardinal tetras aren't as active and don't mind at all
haven't tested in months, what should i be worried about testing,
and i do a 1/4 water change every week, i know thats not a lot, but lots of people don't even do that

hellifino32 09-18-2009 06:09 PM

haha I know its a bit crowded, and I love my corys, i'll replace any deaths with friends for them and a single type of tetra with only 5, (my gf got the cardinals) and I wasn't gonna take them back haha

hellifino32 09-18-2009 06:10 PM

oh and the pleco is going in the 20 gallon my dad keeps when he gets some size

Rohland 09-18-2009 06:11 PM

true however your corydora and pleco don't eat crap.

Yes plecos eat algae but you should buy algae wafers, because once you run out of algae your pleco would starve. Also corydoras don't eat the crap thats off the ground. They may eat a little bit of fallen food. However if you don't overfeed this shouldn't be the problem. Also you should feed the corydoras something made for them. Like some sinking pellets.

I also believe plecos make a big mess (big poo poo), although they clean the algae off your decorations and glass. So when your pleco gets bigger, it will and make more waste this waste will turn into ammonia in your aquarium. Cory catfish especially don't do well to unstable water parameters, so this could lead to a very fast but painful death.

Twistersmom 09-18-2009 06:14 PM

A test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates would be good. PH is also nice to know.
If you are looking to buy a test kit, The API fresh water test kit, is a good one to have.
With your tank being heavily stocked, it would not hurt to do a 50% water change weekly.
High nitrates may be causing the increase in algae. High nitrates can be a result of both overstocking and over feeding. Larger water changes will help.
Get the water tested or buy the test kit. Post you results and we can go from there.

Rohland 09-18-2009 06:34 PM

oh, I didnt see you were relocating the pleco.