Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Cory cats are acting strange (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/cory-cats-acting-strange-291833/)

L J 10-25-2013 11:33 AM

Cory cats are acting strange
 
I purchased two sterba's cory cats a couple weeks ago. I have a 30 gal tank with 3 Black Skirt Tetras, 3 minor tetras, and 4 neons.There is also a bumblebee cory that I VERY rarely ever see. The sterba cories do not interact with each other at all. One hangs out at the bottom on one side of the tank, the other is always hovering around the filter at the top of the tank. He will go to the bottom for a little while, then slowly swim back to the top. There are plenty of live plants, driftwood, and rock caves for hiding. The pH is 6.8, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are all good. I keep the temp between 76 and 78 F. The tank is well established, been up and running for about 2 years. Even the one that hangs out on the bottom does not seem very active. Any advice?

Thoth 10-25-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L J (Post 3281065)
I purchased two sterba's cory cats a couple weeks ago. I have a 30 gal tank with 3 Black Skirt Tetras, 3 minor tetras, and 4 neons.There is also a bumblebee cory that I VERY rarely ever see. The sterba cories do not interact with each other at all. One hangs out at the bottom on one side of the tank, the other is always hovering around the filter at the top of the tank. He will go to the bottom for a little while, then slowly swim back to the top. There are plenty of live plants, driftwood, and rock caves for hiding. The pH is 6.8, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are all good. I keep the temp between 76 and 78 F. The tank is well established, been up and running for about 2 years. Even the one that hangs out on the bottom does not seem very active. Any advice?


The first thing that comes to mind is that you only have two. IME, the smallest amount you should keep is 4 but you should really go for 5 or 6 or more; The more the merrier. I have yet to see normal behavior out of a group of less than 4. You can mix cories that share similar patterns but this is still no guarantee.

Your pH and temp look good for Cories.

The slowly swimming to the surface could be a behavior issue if it is intentional surfacing.

Agent13 10-25-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 3281681)
The first thing that comes to mind is that you only have two. IME, the smallest amount you should keep is 4 but you should really go for 5 or 6 or more; The more the merrier. I have yet to see normal behavior out of a group of less than 4. You can mix cories that share similar patterns but this is still no guarantee.

Your pH and temp look good for Cories.

The slowly swimming to the surface could be a behavior issue if it is intentional surfacing.

Agreed. They'll prefer most likely groups of their own kind(5+ of each). And it may be even more exacerbated in 30 gallons with so few corys. However with the one by the filter I would worry it's sick..if not that then highly stressed.

L J 10-25-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 3281681)
The first thing that comes to mind is that you only have two. IME, the smallest amount you should keep is 4 but you should really go for 5 or 6 or more; The more the merrier. I have yet to see normal behavior out of a group of less than 4. You can mix cories that share similar patterns but this is still no guarantee.

Your pH and temp look good for Cories.

The slowly swimming to the surface could be a behavior issue if it is intentional surfacing.

Thanks, I am planning on getting a couple more, so now I have a new question....the two that I currently have are juveniles, maybe an inch long. The ones I was looking at in the fish store are much bigger. I have had some experiences with some schooling fish when you add smaller younger ones, the older ones don't let them in the school. Should I try to find some cories of similar size, or will it even be an issue?

Agent13 10-25-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L J (Post 3281913)
Thanks, I am planning on getting a couple more, so now I have a new question....the two that I currently have are juveniles, maybe an inch long. The ones I was looking at in the fish store are much bigger. I have had some experiences with some schooling fish when you add smaller younger ones, the older ones don't let them in the school. Should I try to find some cories of similar size, or will it even be an issue?

I wouldn't worry. I've never had an issue. If it's easy to get ones the same size then great..they may buddy up a leeetle faster but nothing worth worry. I added several different sizes to my cory tank and they always seemed happy to have newbies and took to each other right away.

fish monger 10-25-2013 09:44 PM

Agree with comments re group size. Also, cories can take longer to become acclimated than most other species.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2